Speed Differences compared to 2.0.11

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
gLiTcH_

Speed Differences compared to 2.0.11

Post by gLiTcH_ »

Hello everyone! I'm one of the admin of another forum using phpBB 2.0.11. The speed is excellent and when I view area51, the speed is just as great. However, I'm using a DSL connection and many of the members in the forum I administer uses dial-up connection. So far, no complaints about the speed. But, I'm just wondering if maybe Olympus takes a considerable more time to load. I don't need exact figures really, just experiences on those who tried the CVS or some comments about the Developers.

Sorry if this has been brought up, but I cannot use the "Search" at the moment. Would appreciate any feedback from all you. Thanks and more power to phpBB! I am forever loyal to this and am looking forward to the new release if it will be just as fast as phpBB 2.0.11 :)

Cheers to the developers and teams!

Graham

Re: Speed Differences compared to 2.0.11

Post by Graham »

At the minute, it's difficult to give you any reliable benchmarks, but the code has been optimized in quite a few places, so it should be at least as quick as 2.0.x and hopefully faster for the page to be generated - if you look at the bottom of the page here, you'll see how long this takes.

How long it takes to download is as ever going to be dependant on the style you use.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

Please keep in mind that area51 is running on a fairly busy server at the moment, so the figures at the bottom of the page are not very representative. The page that I'm currently looking at took 1.3 seconds to generate which is not exactly normal for a 'new reply' page... :D
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

gLiTcH_

Post by gLiTcH_ »

I appreciate the immediate replies guys. Thanks alot and more power to this forum.

ShadowMaster

Post by ShadowMaster »

If speed is a major concern for some of your dialup admins/mods/users, you might want to consider installing a "stripped down" template for them to use containing as few images as possible.

In addition with 3.0, they can further disable Avatars, Signatures and images within posts.
Thomas Juberg Stensås
.: Head of development - ShadowRealm Creations :.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but a "heavy" board (i.e. a bunch of extra features) is mainly going to put on load on the server, not on the client.

The connection speed between the server and the client isn't all that relevant, unless you count the one or two extra icons that the new features might need. However, as already stated, there are also extra features that will actually improve download speed.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

The load on this server is currently over 9, and the board is still chugging along easily. Very nice.

APTX

Post by APTX »

What's the limit of the server load? It tells me the board is offline when the load is above 10. Is it 10?
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Chugging? It's bombing! :D

Dan

Stelminator

Post by Stelminator »

from what I remember, you can set that number somewhere in the ACP, so that if your server starts getting too many hits, it won't load itself down even more trying to generate massive amounts of PHP stuff. so, I'd guess that this board is currently set at a limit of 10, and so the code is shortcircuiting to the end to try to not load the server even more.