Permissions Nightmare!

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
olger901

Re: Permissions Nightmare!

Post by olger901 »

I actually like the system like it is now, it's quite easy you just need to have some patience and read through the options one by one. I think your system is actually quite a chaos r3m0t because it's really unlogical, I have actually never seen any forum software that does it like how you would set the admin panel either.
-

r3m0t

Post by r3m0t »

It's very simple. If an item is set to NO or it is UNSET but is practically NO then every subitem (indicated by ->) is not relevant. :roll:

Graham

Post by Graham »

You can't see all the discussions Paul has had because some are internal, but suffice to say that whilst there is some merit in grouping permissions logically on the page, forcing dependencies as he notes causes support issues, especially when you have many permissions which can apply to two of your "parents".
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

r3m0t

Post by r3m0t »

OK. No forcing. No disabling. Just the -> marks (or an indent) as a hint that you might be able to skip all of them in one go.

Please? :oops:

nahtanoj

Post by nahtanoj »

what about subforums... do they inherit permissions?

The grouping would also be very helpful

r3m0t

Post by r3m0t »

I'm not certain about this, but I think what you do at the moment is create the top forum, create the forums under it, and then set permissions for the top forum. You can then specify which forums which are under it should inherit those permissions.

Paddy

Post by Paddy »

nahtanoj wrote: what about subforums... do they inherit permissions?

As far as I can tell from what I have tested, when you want to set permissions for a forum which has subforums, you have the option to give the subforums the same permissions as the main forum.

grön

Post by grön »

Paddy wrote:
nahtanoj wrote: what about subforums... do they inherit permissions?

As far as I can tell from what I have tested, when you want to set permissions for a forum which has subforums, you have the option to give the subforums the same permissions as the main forum.
corect
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

The easier and structured with logic in mind the better.

Extra unneccessary features will eventually get out of hand and make this more of a downgrade than an upgrade :|
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

Extra unneccessary features will eventually get out of hand and make this more of a downgrade than an upgrade
And that should come from you. :lol:
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."