Break-in this night :(

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Break-in this night :(

Post by BartVB »

Oh, man, am I *beep*! :evil:

Went to bed around 1am, heard some noises that I couldn't really place. But I wasn't too worried because you hear just about anything that the neighbours do in these houses. But a few minutes later I heard something else so I decided to go an take a look, couldn't sleep anyway, was still way too away and thinking about the phpBB reporting system :) Put on my robe, grabbed my Maglight and went downstairs.

I guess they heard me when I got up, there was noone there. Lights where on, doors where open, a terrible sigarette smell in the livingroom and and empty spot where our server had been. We have a machine in the living room that we use as our TV, stereo, file server, development server, etc and they have taken that box ;( EVERYTHING is on that machine. All our photo's (bought a nice Canon EOS 300D a year ago), all my development work, everything for the university, everything for my company (bills, taxes, documentation), a LOT of MP3s, etc, etc, etc. All GONE because some *beep* junk needed a few euro's :( BAH

Police was here but they can't do much. It was a no-name box so chances that it will resurface are very close to 0. Bweeh :(

I really should have listened to AcydBurn when he said that I should commit the not yet finished Reporting code to CVS :\
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

Darkmonkey

Re: Break-in this night :(

Post by Darkmonkey »

Sorry to hear about that Bart. Thats a real nightmare. Manys a times my computers crashed, and I've lost work, but stolen? Thats rotten luck :(
...they're watching you...

SamG

Post by SamG »

That is bad news! I do hope the police can recover it (and all it contains) for you.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

I think the chance of me winning 20 million euros in the lottery (without owning a lottery ticket :D) are larger than that :roll:

For everyone that doesn't have a decent backup of his/her data: Back it up properly. NOW... *sigh*
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

olger901

Post by olger901 »

Ouch that sucks Bart :(

Also, that is why I always tell people to make backups at least once a month of everything, plus that we got 6 computers in our house, but all of them are stored upstairs. (which 3 of them in my room) so a burglar or a junkie would have to dare to come darned close to my bed before it can steal my machine plus that I would problay awake, as I am awake quickly.
-

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

I hope you don't suffer from the same problem that I (and many coders I know) have, and lose the will to recode the work that was lost.

And yes, this is a kick for me to get my own backups running. It's why I bought the DVD drive and lockbox in the first place.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

it certainly sucks for Bart, however i find it very sad to get money by stealing others property..

hope the police can get it back :|

CTCNetwork

Post by CTCNetwork »

I have a dusty server case in the garage, into which I will be putting the contents of my main PC into. . . so anyone can nick that - if they get past the dog!

My server is going in a cupboard though, out of sight..

Bad luck man... :x
Density:- Not just a measurement~Its a whole way of Life.! ! !
Uninvited PM's are Deleted. Uninvited IM's - You get a warning - and get blocked. Capiche?

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

That's terrible. I hope the police manage to recover the goods, but as you say, this seems unlikely.

All I can offer are my sympathies. =(
Rob

graphic

Post by graphic »

Sorry to hear that. My hard drive crashed a few weeks ago and I didn't have a backup. I was able to recover about 50% of it, but the rest was gone. :(

I have done three backups since then. :)

I can't believe someone broke in while you were home.

Ad far as your code goes, the design takes me the longest. Now that you already know how to set it up, maybe you can write it again pretty quickly.
What Is Real!? Coming 2005
Latest phpBB2 Styles: [What Is Real!?] [Avalanche]