Why was the version number removed?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Virtuality

Why was the version number removed?

Post by Virtuality »

Just curious... I can't see any obvious reason for that right now, but I'm sure you have one. :P I just want to know the reason.

Update of /cvsroot/phpbb/phpBB2/includes In directory sc8-pr-cvs1.sourceforge.net:/tmp/cvs-serv20102/includes

Modified Files:
functions.php
Log Message:
Remove version information from display
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

the_dan

Re: Why was the version number removed?

Post by the_dan »

Virtuality wrote:Just curious... I can't see any obvious reason for that right now, but I'm sure you have one. :P I just want to know the reason.

Update of /cvsroot/phpbb/phpBB2/includes In directory sc8-pr-cvs1.sourceforge.net:/tmp/cvs-serv20102/includes

Modified Files:
functions.php
Log Message:
Remove version information from display
It enables people running out of date installations to be easily tracked down through google when it is present - When the number is not shown, it does not allow an attacker to see if a paticular forum is vulnerable to certain exploits easily.

Dan

CLee

Post by CLee »

Then all phpBB boards will be targeted regardless of what version they are. Security through obscurity is no security at all.
Carlos Myers
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

CLee wrote:Then all phpBB boards will be targeted regardless of what version they are. Security through obscurity is no security at all.
You would rather they attacked 100 vulnerable boards & sucessfully defaced them, as opposed to attacking 25 vulnerable boards, and 75 patched ones, only doing damage to 25%?

Dan

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

CLee wrote:Then all phpBB boards will be targeted regardless of what version they are. Security through obscurity is no security at all.
That would be true if there were either infinite hackers or one hacker with infinite time. ;) As both cases are obviously false, then there are only a limited number of hackers each with limited time. They lose the ability to decide which boards to attack prior to launching their attack, which, as Dan said, would statistically reduce the number of successful break-ins.
Rob

OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

As evident, one good hacker with a cleverly written worm is all it takes. Time is of no impact.
phpBB phpBB phpBB phpBB

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

Stop nitpicking. The developers didn't spend much time on this one. Seriously, it's understandable to wonder WHY they did it, but to attack them for it is very stupid and immature.

olger901

Post by olger901 »

Who cares? perhaps it is just removed for now but will be implented back in later on when the final is released, this is CVS and you never know ;)
-

dagta

Post by dagta »

If you want a version number to display, it would/will be very easy to add that text anywhere you like.

I could make my phpbb2.0.11 board claim to be phpbb3.1.77 if I liked.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

sigh ... as I always say, we just cannot win. It's another "thing" which allows people to cause harm ... therefore putting 1 and 1 together suggests, particularly after this worm incident that eliminating it from public view makes, let's think about this for a second, sense ... that's the word.

Security through obscurity? oh please, get a grip ... you're suggesting we've done nothing else to improve security in 2.2 but remove the version number? Which CVS are you following prey tell.