2.1.2 on a live environment- secure enough atm?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Re: 2.1.2 on a live environment- secure enough atm?

Post by BartVB »

area51 is running (close to) CVS code, if we weren't confident about it's stability/security we wouldn't be doing that :)

Security is not just an afterthought, it's something you'll have to keep in mind constantly while working on phpBB. You can't start looking at security problems during the beta phase, you'll have to keep things tight from the ground up. So IMO from a security POV you should be fine. 2.0.11 is probably safer because it had quite a bit more testing but 2.1 should be good enough for most purposes as long as you stay proactive in keeping your site up to date!

If something serious is discovered in 2.1 then we are probably going to fix that pretty quickly because we are running 2.1 on area51 (and on our own development servers ofcourse). We're not giving any guarantees here, mind you :) I'm just stating what is probably going to happen if a serious issue is discovered.

If you are (very?) knowledgeable about PHP and databases and if you want to invest the time and effort then it should be possible to run a site on phpBB 2.1. We really don't recommend doing that and you still won't get any decent support but you can ofcourse do it on your own responseability.
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

Nice. Thanks guys. I'm confident in your coding. saltydx, as I said before, right now I have the time to work on coding and updating the CVS, but if I were to go with 2.0.11, eventually I would upgrade to 2.2 (for obvious reasons) and then the entire base of my site is wiped out and I have to recode it. It's not worth it, and I just don't have the time or deadlines to do that. It's this or some other software, and I can't do anything but phpBB, it's against my... morals? :wink: :lol:

So I shall go through with it. *Takes a deep breath* Yep.... :roll:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

saltydx

Post by saltydx »

Good luck.

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

lol. Thanks, I'll need it. :roll:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

Wert

Post by Wert »

BartVB wrote:.... and you still won't get any decent support but you can ofcourse do it on your own responseability.
Bart, until the time is ripe, wouldn't you be clearer in saying "no support at all" here?
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

Ok, you will get no support at all ;)
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

q3utom

Post by q3utom »

SolarFX wrote: and then the entire base of my site is wiped out and I have to recode it. It's not worth it, and I just don't have the time or deadlines to do that.

The thing is if 2.2 code changes drastically between the current cvs and release you could end up doing as much work as using 2.0.11?

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

It's not going to change that drastically. :wink: But if it does... yeah, I'm screwed. It's a gamble, but I'm almost certain they aren't going to make a big enough change. In order to hinder my project, they would have to anhialate the DB system and redo the whole core system. They aren't going to do that.