Progress of 2.2

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
APTX

Re: Progress of 2.2

Post by APTX »

Do the auth presets work then? The last commit was on November 30 (last time I checked).
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

Anonymous wrote:Not to be a naysayer, but quiet CVS activity in most projects *USUALLY* means the opposite - nothing is getting sent to CVS because nothing is getting written.. and given psotfix's horrible habit of letting his personal life interfere with free code writing (joke, for the people who didn't catch it) and the fact that it's the holiday season, my (uninformed) money would be on that he hasn't been writing much lately.

Also, because 2.0.11 had to be released I would imagine that took a bit of time as well (although maybe not a whole lot)

That's just assumptions based on previous patterns though.

SFG
As I understand it, the development code is on an internal server and SourceForge CVS is not indicative of the internal code.

Graham

Post by Graham »

That statement as it stands is slightly misleading, although probably not intentionally ;) (you make it sounds like the developers deliberately keep CVS behind).

Because there are multiple developers, each of them has their own copy of the code, which is generally different from the CVS copy until they commit the changes they are working on (many changes won't get commited until they are complete). Thus the code the developers have will generally be newer than CVS in some areas, but the same in others
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

kieroth_whiteleaf

Post by kieroth_whiteleaf »

That's really weird it put me in as a guest.. I had to specifically log in before making that last post. I didn't notice that it hadn't kept my username until someone else pointed it out.

Not intentionally anony, not sure why it did that. Probably random fluke, I've never seen that happen before on here.

SFG

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Graham wrote:you make it sounds like the developers deliberately keep CVS behind
But some devs (psoTFX in particular) have indicated that some things (some new features, related code and ideas, etc.) are being kept "behind closed doors", such as special new features in 2.2 to help better "protect" the new ideas until being closer to release time to share them. So in this respect, it might be considered "deliberately" withholding critical evidence :), which is perfectly OK as was indicated by psoTFX for good reason (plus surely their choice to do so if so desired). CVS and anything posted to CVS helps with development for many projects, although many realize it is not required, but is also optional and an early gift for those wanting to peek around and try things out on an experimental/test site as with viewing this board and participating on here... :)

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Are you sure psoTFX said the code was kept under wraps or was he talking about the ideas ;) ?
A_Jelly_Doughnut

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

** not a quote by any means, just a crude interpretation of a past post and thread on here (which is now missing) which "indicated" (i.e., my interpretation) of not posting some things on CVS or on here to protect the idea or information for now, so it makes me think "code" as well, especially if it is not being posted on CVS or used for this site, but being done behind closed doors... So I have to confesses to it being my interpretation only, but we shall see as time will tell ;) **

olger901

Post by olger901 »

People patience is the key to almost anything, people just don't seem to have alot of patience, I mean when you just got a new girlfriend today you most likely won't be able to share your bed with her the next day now will ya ;)
-

puttyfly

Post by puttyfly »

hello,

i lost a little bit the direction.

Can U please tell in what developpment phase phpbb2.2 is?
and how many phases are still coming?

i thought this board was the beta? or at least something like that ;)

thx for informations

SamG

Post by SamG »

phpBB 2.2 is in its last phase of development. There is no beta of 2.2 yet, including what you are seeing here.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood