What makes 2.2 special? [split from "2.2 top features&q

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
valval

Re: phpBB 2.2, top features

Post by valval »

So, basically, if I get phpbb 2.0.x+ch 2.1.0 + a bunch of other mods and all these satisfy all my needs (they work ok, etc.) I would be having no need to further upgrade to phpBB 2.2 right?

you see my dillema is the following: i have a site which is currently running phpbb 2.0.6 + ch 2.0.4 (cuz I have lots of forums / subforums) and a bunch of other silly mods I need.

I was wondering if it worth waiting for phpBB 2.2 to appear, then wait for some of the mods from 2.0.x to be converted (or do it myself, but that'll take time and time to learn the new way phpBB 2.2 is coded) or just use phpbb 2.0.11 + ch 2.1.0 which perfectly suits my needs already ?

I don't want to do too many large scale upgrades (as this would be) because I don't have the time necessary (and no I can't affort paying for a vB, and their themes suck anyway :P ) so this is a rather important question (for me in particular, but i'm sure there are other folks out there too that have the same dillema). :?:

I don't mean to be rude to the phpBB 2.2 dev team, please do not understand me that way :oops:

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

> Valval : here is what I answered for my case :
Ptirhiik_ wrote:If I move, I will probably remove or modify [the not matching my needs abilities, features or options]
I think each webmaster has to do the reflexion for himself and its site(s), keeping in mind his skills level, his available time, his purposes and so. It can perfectly be the worst choice for somes, and the best one for others.

valval

Post by valval »

Ptirhiik my main concern lies with security of the site. I guess what I am really asking is that: is phpBB2.2 more secure than phpbb 2.0.11+ch2.1.0

We already can make it so they look the same (as templates), have the same features, so mainly what I am thinking is: isn't a product that's been around for 2-3 years now (2.0.x) and has reached a certain degree of maturity (in say testing and patching security holes) safer than a new (not really that tested in live enviroments) product at this point?

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

You can bet that phpBB 2.2 will be as secured - maybe more - than phpBB 2.0, as the devs are the same for both.

valval

Post by valval »

Ptirhiik_ wrote:You can bet that phpBB 2.2 will be as secured - maybe more - than phpBB 2.0, as the devs are the same for both.
While yes I am sure that will be as secure as 2.0.x in the end, it is possible that some exploits appear in time with 2.2.x as they appeared with 2.0.x.

I am sure that 2.0.11 < 2.2.11 but how would you describe 2.0.11 ~ 2.2.0 ?! :) (just from security / hacking / exploits) point of view?

Ptirhiik_

Re: What makes 2.2 special? [split from "2.2 top featur

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

I will answer (according to my knowledges) when the phpBB 2.2 will be final. However, the "maybe more" wasn't here for nothing : some abilities introduced in phpBB 2.1 will extend the security checks to the custom inputs.

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

As a whole, phpBB 2.1.2 has the potential to be more secure, since the devs can break away from the phpBB 2.0.x systems -- if anything was a big problem in 2.0.x that they couldn't change, they can do it now.
As a whole I wouldn't worry about security. The devs have always been very careful with security issue. As a result, there have not been very many *big* issues, and any that were, were fixed promptly.

PUOJACKZ

Post by PUOJACKZ »

Ptirhiik_ wrote:I absolutly don't agree : what makes phpBB 2.2 "special" (not sure the word is appropriate here) is the amazing way the features are coded and integrated, absolutly not the feature list.
Yes, I agree. Keep in consideration that, in a modded phpbb 2.0.x, in the most cases, the mods not see each other. In phpbb 2.2.x this has been correct. An another thing important is this: if you make a mod, you have to check about bugs, improve features and so on, that could buy you available time. Many features, coded to be a mod, has been discontinued due to this problem. Putting them in the main code, all the phpbb community can give, to the coders, a feedback, and the bugs of the code are correct very quickly.
In discontinued mod, this could be a trouble because, if you implement a code that has no been fixed, you could expose your forum to the act of all the lamers and crackers that wanna hack you BBS.
Ptirhiik_ wrote:I have really no problems at all to code features I need onto my board based on phpBB 2.0.x (I've made some available to public btw, some aren't), and at this time some features, abilities or directions in phpBB 2.2 do not satisfy me at all (note it is not a complain, I respect the dev choices) : if I move, I will probably remove or modify them, simply :).
I'm very interested about which change you would made, if you take phpbb 2.2 and which mods you haven't published yet in your site. Can you explain them here?
All the other has wrote: Why change phpbb 2.0.x to 2.2 if i don't find mods for them that are in my forum now.
I suppose that, who have made mods for 2.0.x, will make a version for 2.2. So, if 2.2.x is not covered by the feature not hardcoded in the main code, soon you will see them in the future mods.
Think about that PHPbb coders has still opened a feature tracker for 2.3(unstable)/2.4(stable), so this could give some more hopes to see 2.4 awaiting less time than for 2.2.
-
No animals were harmed during the making of this Message.
Rated "E" for everyone - Refrigerate after opening

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

PUOJACKZ wrote:I'm very interested about which change you would made, if you take phpbb 2.2 and which mods you haven't published yet in your site. Can you explain them here?
Browing quickly : presence of the attachment feature, no use of the template in ACP, ability to have php in templates, and some other choices in coding that are not convenient for my purpose (not enough centralized).

What I added and not made public : CRON entry and CRON simulation, more performant user tracking for admins (low and high levels), ACP restriction based on group auths, front side CMS, full support of syndication (in and out), multi-identity per user management, family tree linking user identities (the main board is MMORPG relative), etc, etc. Also quite a lot of facilities for site redactors to design their posts through advanced bbCodes (from auto-thumbnail to more basic text adjustement and formating - box, arrays and so). All were coded by myself to keep a consistent code design.

valval

Post by valval »

Ptirhiik you are really impressive. I wonder when do you find time to do all this :)