Try to ensure people using snapshots know it's unsupported?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
naderman
Consultant

Re: Try to ensure people using snapshots know it's unsupport

Post by naderman »

Spectral Dragon wrote:
SamG wrote:
SHS` wrote:Simplest would be removing the CVS snapshots altogether. ;)
That's the first practical suggestion in this thread!
Not if you are trying to plan ahead and get your imageset ready for the next version it's not.
Hi,

SHS` was just talking about the snapshots not about the CVS which is quite a good idea since normally only people with at least some understanding of programming know how to use CVS.

naderman

molotov

Post by molotov »

maxintosh wrote:Having to edit a section of the forum code before getting access to the ACP, to ensure that you know what you are doing.
HAH! Sounds clever until you get people saying, "it doesn't work, and asks me to change a file... what do I do?!?!"

Bug reports will increase ;)

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

More ideas:

- Change the tar filename to something like unsupported-phpBB22-CVS_200411251900.tar.gz

- Use the default board description.

- Create a new default forum called something like "Report all bugs here :mrgreen:"

CU

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

- Create a new default forum called something like "Report all bugs here "
:lol: Good one :mrgreen:
Customisations Team

grön

Post by grön »

and people would say why arent you ansvering my bug raports, I just asy Let it be... (naked)
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

ok, then create the "Reports bugs here" forum as a link to a message stating something like "this feature is not ready yet :P ...anyway this CVS snapshot thingy you're running is still unsupported, so please help developers by tracking this bug yourself for a while and keep trying new snapshots in the future. We'll inform everyone when we are ready to process bugs. Thanks for your collaboration. :mrgreen:"

...or something. :lol:

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

grön wrote:and people would say why arent you ansvering my bug raports, I just asy Let it be... (naked)
Only accessable to users, no mods or admins. Users help other users without bothering anyone :)
Customisations Team

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

What would be the point to create such a forum, as the code can daily radicaly change ? Screw more users trusting out-of-date informations ? Encourage them to use live a not-released and not-secured version, driving them to probably loose their whole data, or easely being hacked on their whole domain ? Don't you think there are very solid reasons the code is unsupported today ? Perhaps the SHS` suggestion was the best indeed.

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

I'm not sure how removing the snapshots at this point in time may impact to the overall image of the project, compared to the impact of still getting support requests.

As development evolves, CVS snapshots may (hopefully) be more stable. So that may lead to confusions, since once installed there are no clear signs that it is, in fact, a CVS version.

So... I'm talking about ideas to include in the CVS snapshot itself to make it clear what the "thing" really is. And making it clear and big enough that it is still unsupported.

Not all ideas I posted are serious, of course.

SamG

Post by SamG »

There is a light side to this whole topic, to be sure, and that's fine. :D

Unfortunately, there's also the more problematic side. The real problems arise during development of major releases. The developers' desire to reduce development time between releases will, I think, reduce the types of issues we're talking about here. But major new releases will still take considerable time, no matter how committed the developers are to shorter release cycles.

Somehow, we need to educate ourselves, as a community, to how open source projects work and how they're different from closed source software projects. We need to educate ourselves about the joys and responsibilities that come with having acccess to the developers' workshop in more or less real time. Most importantly, it seems to me, we need to learn that CVS stuff isn't a release version of phpBB at all, in any way, shape, or form. I think that misunderstanding alone is a cause for more hard feelings and confusion over CVS code than anything else.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood