Styles?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
lwq

Re: Styles?

Post by lwq »

not that one , i mean waht are the difference between style , theme and template.....
lwq

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

they are pretty much the same things, but here are the minor differences. (this is my understanding of it, if I am wrong I will of course be corrected :roll: )

Style= a "genre" of templates. (well this is one way of looking at it anyway.)

Theme= a template that has a definite theme behind it, such as dragons, ect.

Template= The way a message board is viewed. Subsilver is a template. The template folder contains the images and code for the look of the board. the template info is usually stored in a seperate folder or area than the rest of the files. In the case of php it's labeled "templates."

dhn

Post by dhn »

No. Have to do this fast!

Template
The template files itself.

Theme
The css file, colour information, etc.

Imageset
The images.

Style
The combination of the template, the theme and the imageset.

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

To be sure to not comfused :

template = .html files (display skeletons) - were suffixed .tpl in phpBB 2.0.x

dhn

Post by dhn »

Ok back home from work. Let me make the above a little clearer.

A template is the structure of the design, the basic html files without any colour or css information applied. As seen in the following image, a forum just with a template would look like this:
imageset.png
The finished style
(181.66 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
Now we add the colour information, in this case the basic subSilver colour. Notice that the images are still missing. This does not need to be this one, we can add multiple themes upon one basic template.
theme.png
We added a theme to the template
(156.79 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
Now we add the imageset to complete the style. All three elements combined, (template, theme and tmageset) make up one style. As with the above you could just use another imageset if you want to have a little diversity.
template.png
Just the template
(160.58 KiB) Downloaded 696 times

molotov

Post by molotov »

One very important feature of a template, that has not been mentioned before, is that it contains logic. Such as, if the user is logged in, display this. If the user is not logged in, display this instead. Think templates->logic/layout.

Spectral Dragon

dhn wrote:Ok back home from work. Let me make the above a little clearer.

A template is the structure of the design, the basic html files without any colour or css information applied. As seen in the following image, a forum just with a template would look like this:
template.png
Now we add the colour information, in this case the basic subSilver colour. Notice that the images are still missing. This does not need to be this one, we can add multiple themes upon one basic template.
theme.png
Now we add the imageset to complete the style. All three elements combined, (template, theme and tmageset) make up one style. As with the above you could just use another imageset if you want to have a little diversity.
imageset.png
What I said only not in easy to understand english? 8O (with the possible argument that subsilver is a template)

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

Spectral Dragon wrote:What I said only not in easy to understand english? 8O (with the possible argument that subsilver is a template)
That's not at all what you said...

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

Spectral Dragon wrote:What I said only not in easy to understand english? 8O (with the possible argument that subsilver is a template)
How about no? Your description was totally messed up. :P
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

Spectral Dragon

is that so?
dhn wrote:No. Have to do this fast!

Template
The template files itself.

Theme
The css file, colour information, etc.

Imageset
The images.

Style
The combination of the template, the theme and the imageset.
Spectral Dragon wrote:they are pretty much the same things, but here are the minor differences. (this is my understanding of it, if I am wrong I will of course be corrected )

Style= a "genre" of templates. (well this is one way of looking at it anyway.)

Theme= a template that has a definite theme behind it, such as dragons, ect.

Template= The way a message board is viewed. Subsilver is a template. The template folder contains the images and code for the look of the board. the template info is usually stored in a seperate folder or area than the rest of the files. In the case of php it's labeled "templates."
Genre= allright, maybe I can see where I was confusing people. What I meant is the word "style" often refers the way something looks.

It's no big deal, just depends how you look at it.