Jabber support

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Shere_Khan

Re: Jabber support

Post by Shere_Khan »

Antaeogo wrote:> recommend their favourite jabber client.

JAJC.
Exodus works well, and is very easy to set up. It can also connect to msn, aol, icq, irc, and yahoo through gateways...

SK

Shere_Khan

Post by Shere_Khan »

Lost wrote:
elektra wrote:Is there any kind of conferencing support? My people would probably install whatever jabber client I pointed them at, but the forum interface would have to support local jabber conferences (chatrooms) to make it worth their while. They would like to chat to their friends on the forum chatroom. Without that, Jabber is just another big ole empty chatspace and they have to hunt around for their buddies (or does phpbb manage the roster?)
Exactly what I was thinking. The ability to setup a groupchat for the visitors of the forum would be a great feature. Maybe in version 2.3 :wink:?
I've been using jabber for maybe a week after using irc for years, setting up a group chat even on an open jabber server is very easy and makes irc look like rocket science. I took someone through jabber setup from the d/load in a couple of minutes and we were chatting in group chat. It really is that simple...

SK

Kropotkine

Post by Kropotkine »

Thank you very much for Jabber support ! :mrgreen:

Benni

Post by Benni »

So, do i understand this correctly?
It is possible to send a PM from a phpBB board to any jabber user and vice versa?
..but when i enter my jabber address into the recipient field, it says "No recipient defined".

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

Nope, you can send a message to persons that have filled in a Jabber ID in their profile.

Integrating Jabber with the private messages would be reeeeeeally cool but that's fairly difficult at the moment. Well, actually it's pretty simple but it requires the use of a bot or polling a Jabber server. Running a bot is not an option for 99% of our users and polling just sucks :)

I'm trying to get some features in Jabber to facilitate better communication with web applications (like phpBB) but it will take some time before that has been standardised and implemented in servers.
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

Benni

Post by Benni »

Well, it is a good beginning :)
I could use such an option really good, but i will think about that, when 2.2 is released ;)

Arm@nd

Post by Arm@nd »

Hello,

I've a little question : would it be possible to see the status of the contact, for example in the Jabber icon ? I know it is possible but will it be integrated in Olympus ?

Skuld

Post by Skuld »

Antaeogo wrote: > recommend their favourite jabber client.

JAJC
GAIM 8)
Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?

Now? :D

uranusalien

Post by uranusalien »

I presume this involves the server making some sort of outgoing connection? I'd like to know if this is the sort of thing shared hosters are going to complain about.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Yes, the Jabber class does open a socket connection to the Jabber server.

Code: Select all

if ($this->active_socket = @fsockopen($server, $port, $err, $err2, 5))
		{
			@socket_set_blocking($this->active_socket, 0);
			@socket_set_timeout($this->active_socket, 31536000);

return TRUE;
Around line 1200 in functions_jabber.php
A_Jelly_Doughnut