Moving developement discussion to Discord

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Moving developement discussion to Discord

Post by Senky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Okay, what is the advantage of Discord over Slack?

Flerex

Post by Flerex » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:08 am

I think this page explains it perfectly.

Even though I wouldn’t mind using Slack, it kind of defeats the purpose of my suggestion, which was bringing the community to more people.

But, again, if you guys are more fond of Slack, it’s very similar to Discord except in matters like its public.

Ger

Post by Ger » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:09 am

I must say, I didn't really know what Discord was until I Googled it yesterday. I've head about it on some tech related websites, but that's about it.

Now I'm sure it works fine, but I'm afraid it would end up to be yet another communication platform to keep track of and that it won't replace IRC completely since many regular users are simply accustomed to IRC. We already have phpBB.com community, Area51 community, Github discussions and IRC. It's hard enough to keep track of all those.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team

Post by hanakin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:45 am

Don’t forget tracker ;) the real issue is that we would have convert everything from one platform to the other. Having more than one is not practical. We have a lot of mods and infrastructure built into our irc. Not to mention that we own it. We have actually discussed slack before on here but t do not have the time to dedicate to recreating all the granted functionality and manage the software. Granted discord is somewhat simpler to work with than slack. Frankly I would prefer slack or discord but there is a lot of individuals who may not for several of the reasons I have listed and possibly more