Moving developement discussion to Discord

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Flerex

Moving developement discussion to Discord

Post by Flerex »

I created a new suggestion for phpBB but I'm not sure if it is the right place to put it as it's not a suggestion for the software but for the community itself. Just in case I will quote my suggestion to further discuss it:
Flerex wrote:Other open source projects are starting to move its developement discussion to a Discord server, abandoning or complementing IRC channels. I think it would be a good idea to, at least, have an official Discord server for all that's related with phpBB.

Why Discord?
  • A lot of people have Discord. It would be a great way to make more people to get involved in the community and to keep the project in line with the current times.
  • The ability to have more than one channel on the same server make it easier to organize the different discussions. Instead of having the current #phpBB, #phpbb_coding and #phpbb_dev IRC channels there could be #developement, #gso, #general, #support, #developement, #styles and #extensions for example.
  • The tools that Discord provides would make it easier to share pictures or even share code with its code highlighting.
  • Groups would make it easier for us to know who's a member of the phpBB staff and it's rank. It works just like a phpBB forum's groups.
  • Permissions. You want a staff-only channel where you can discuss your things? Done.
Overall, Discord is easier and much more powerful than IRC and nowaways it has more influence than IRC channels, which new generations may be completely unaware that it even exists.

pierredu

Re: Moving developement discussion to Discord

Post by pierredu »

Will I be the first one to ask: what is Discord?

david63

Post by david63 »

pierredu wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:33 pm Will I be the first one to ask: what is Discord?
No - just the first to go on record asking :roll: :roll:
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Ger

Post by Ger »

I personally see no benefit to making a move to whatever is more popular today. IRC is easily available with a web client for everyone.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Flerex

Post by Flerex »

Ger wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:42 pm I personally see no benefit to making a move to whatever is more popular today. IRC is easily available with a web client for everyone.
It's not like the idea is moving to a popular service just because it's popular, but because it provides more powerful features to manage a chat with a community standpoint. The fact that it's popular just helps reaching a broad amount of people, which would be very beneficial to improve the community participation. Discord is as much available as IRC (it has a web client) and has everything that IRC offers, with great additions.

To be honest, IRC is a thing of the past and we should try focus on reaching more people. For example, by using messaging services that are used by the average user.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

Can you provide a practical example of something that would be made possible by using Discord instead of IRC + forums?

Flerex

Post by Flerex »

To be honest I'm not trying to replace the forums with Discord. Although at the end of the day you can do everything on the forums. Even IRC wouldn't serve of much purpose. However, the things that you can accomplish with Discord that you can't with IRC are explained in the topic's initial post.

I saw MyBB and Flarum do this with their communities and I thought it would be a great idea to increase the engagement of the community.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

Let me put it this way:
  1. Replace IRC with Discord
  2. ???
  3. Greater engagement
What happens in phase 2 that leads to phase 3?

Flerex

Post by Flerex »

The availability of Discord. It's a service widely spread. Most people on the internet have Discord. People could easily join Discord without having to understand how IRC works. Because nobody knows what IRC even is, let alone have a client to log in to the freenode servers and chat with the community.

This suggestion is mostly to keep up with the current days.