Slack

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: Slack

Post by Nicofuma »

Slack is better... not necessarily. Slack is great yes and I use it at work. And because I use it work I can't use it for phpBB. At least not on my phone which is the device I use for phpBB when I'm not at home.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Mess wrote:Yea its just a much better alternative than IRC. The fact that you dont have to be online or have an eggdrop in The channel at all times i a huge plus imo.
Added bonuses are the integrations which makes discussing code blocks much easier.
We probably won't be moving away from IRC any time soon since we use it for many different reasons. Slack by itself would just be another separate communication venue that we don't want. Since it integrates (sort of) with IRC we're looking at using it together with IRC but not as an alternative to IRC at all.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Nicofuma wrote:Slack is better... not necessarily. Slack is great yes and I use it at work. And because I use it work I can't use it for phpBB. At least not on my phone which is the device I use for phpBB when I'm not at home.
Slack is available on both ios and android. And you should be able to switch teams in the upper left corner of the app.
DavidIQ wrote: We probably won't be moving away from IRC any time soon since we use it for many different reasons. Slack by itself would just be another separate communication venue that we don't want. Since it integrates (sort of) with IRC we're looking at using it together with IRC but not as an alternative to IRC at all.
I don't have any extensive expirience with slack, i'm just not a friend of IRC. And slack appears to offer so much more. I trust the phpBB team will reach the best desision. There is probably many god reasons to keep IRC i'm not aware off.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Slack is great.

Even better when combined with https://sameroom.io/, which would allow a bridge between IRC and Gitter, too.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog