Slack

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Mess

Slack

Post by Mess »

Anyone have expirience working with www.slack.com? Could it be used in development of phpBB?

Seems very user friendly. Its free (with premium options). Integrates with most of the tools "we" currently use like github, travis, jira, IRC etc. And its available on most platforms. That alone seems like a better solution than IRC or atleast an excelent compliment too it.

Thoughts?

brunoais

Re: Slack

Post by brunoais »

callumacrae made a bot to bridge communication between IRC and slack, btw.

While on it, is there anywhere where I can get what slack is, instead of what slack allows to do?

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Still not good.
None of the 1st page results tell what slack is, they only tell what slack allows to do. If it did, I certainly wouldn't make the question.

Paul

Post by Paul »

brunoais wrote:Still not good.
None of the 1st page results tell what slack is, they only tell what slack allows to do. If it did, I certainly wouldn't make the question.
Really?
Slack is a platform for team communication: everything in one place, instantly searchable, available wherever you go.
Directly from the first result: https://slack.com/

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I can't find. Show me an example pls. I'm probably getting lost in too much on "what slack can do/is used for" and I can't find the "what slack is".

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

brunoais wrote:I can't find. Show me an example pls. I'm probably getting lost in too much on "what slack can do/is used for" and I can't find the "what slack is".
So I copypasta this from the slack.com home page.
Slack.com wrote:Slack is a platform for team communication: everything in one place, instantly searchable, available wherever you go.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I use Slack at work. Slack is basically another chat program but it allows integration with various third party services. For instance, my job uses Pivotal Tracker and has it integrated to push comments to a Slack channel any time a commit is pushed. You can also have direct messages to individual users within the team.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Yea its just a much better alternative than IRC. The fact that you dont have to be online or have an eggdrop in The channel at all times i a huge plus imo.
Added bonuses are the integrations which makes discussing code blocks much easier.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

So... "Slack is a chat program which contains every feature of IRC and integrates some features from popular similar programs, most notably, chat history sharing that Skype/WLM has/had and wide range of plugin capabilities."
Something like that?
paulus wrote:
Slack is a platform for team communication: everything in one place, instantly searchable, available wherever you go.
Directly from the first result: https://slack.com/
Khaos-Rage wrote: So I copypasta this from the slack.com home page.
Slack.com wrote:Slack is a platform for team communication: everything in one place, instantly searchable, available wherever you go.
That tells me nearly nothing, though.