Participating in GSOC 2013

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
dasunr

Participating in GSOC 2013

Post by dasunr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:56 am

Hi All,
My name is Dasun. I am a Computer Science and Engineering undergraduate and I am interested in developments with php. I like to apply for GSOC 2013 with phpBB community.
I went through the project ideas described in https://wiki.phpbb.com/GSoC/2013/Ideas. I am particularly interested in Rich Text Editor Integration idea.
How can I get familiar with phpBB code base and start working on this idea ?.

Cheers!!

Oleg

Re: Participating in GSOC 2013

Post by Oleg » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Rich text editor has proven to be a highly nontrivial undertaking due to custom bbcodes. While inserting a rich text editor into the posting page is not complicated, making the rich text editor understand all possible phpbb bbcodes is.

Unless you already have a thorough understanding of custom bbcodes, rich text editor is probably not a project you want to attempt.

You should also search this board for previous discussions relating to rich text editor and bbcode engine rewrite.

imkingdavid

Re: Participating in GSOC 2013

Post by imkingdavid » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 pm

Also, keep in mind that the list on the page to which you linked is not final, and there may be more. And as always, if you can think of something not on the list that you'd like to use in your application, that is allowed as well.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.