PHPbb for Mobile ?

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Technologov

PHPbb for Mobile ?

Post by Technologov »

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for delivering a great software such as PHPbb to our world !

As you might know, my primary computer is the Samsung Galaxy SIII smartphone, on which I spend over 70% of my free time. PostPC era ? Anyone ?
A good idea, that I have is to optimize the PHPbb forum for mobile HTML. One effort I found is phpbb-mobile.com which is still not good enough.

I would like to investigate the possibility of writing mobile HTML support for PHPbb, and contribute upstream, which will help Open-Source community at large, including projects I care about (VirtualBox and GNS3, both of those dependent on PHPbb).
This will let me and lots of mobile users to be more active on community forums.

Basically the idea is about generating a smartphone-optimized webpages, when PHPbb is being accessed from a smartphone. It will require a complete redesign of the PHPbb forum software and UI. The feature-set of the mobile version will get a cut; It will be scaled-down.
I do not plan to introduce any major changes to the normal (desktop) version of PHPbb, so desktop user's look & feel will not change.

Before I begin:
Does anyone has great design ideas or any success in mobilizing PHPbb ?
Are there any plans or roadmap for mobilizing PHPbb ?

-Technologov
Last edited by Technologov on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: PHPbb for Mobile ?

Post by MichaelC »

There are already people working on a responsive phpBB Style.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Technologov wrote:One effort I found is phpbb-mobile.com which is still not good enough.
When I get some free time, I'll be completing the next version of that style, which is a complete rewrite and looks a *lot* better than the current version.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Some thoughts on your request.
Technologov wrote:As you might know, my primary computer is the Samsung Galaxy SIII smartphone, on which I spend over 70% of my free time. PostPC era ? Anyone ?
I do have to ask why. I have a smart phone and tablet (and was a "pioneer" in handheld computing technology back in the Windows CE days -- see my first signature link), but I can't imagine spending 70% of my free time using those devices. Just curious.

Oh, and as this is only your second post here, why might we know what your primary computer is? :?
Technologov wrote: A good idea, that I have is to optimize the PHPbb forum for mobile HTML.
What is "mobile HTML"? As far as I know, there's no such thing unless HTML 5 added some "mobile tags" (whatever that means). I know that there are (were?) some initiatives to create device capability disovery systems, but those are for more than mobile devices (TVs, devices for handicapped users, etc.).

By the way, while it's certainly a good idea, you're hardly the first to have it. Have you searched phpbb.com or this site for discussions?
Technologov wrote: Basically the idea is about generating a smartphone-optimized webpages, when PHPbb is being accessed from a smartphone. It will require a complete redesign of the PHPbb forum software and UI
Why do you assume that a "complete redesign" would be required? Ideally, little more than a new style would be required.

It might also be useful to have UCP "profiles" that could be automatically set based on your device (for example, if connecting from a phone, you might want your UCP settings to exclude images, smilies and avatars and use a mobile style; if connecting from tablet or PC, you might want the full experience.
Technologov wrote:Does anyone has great design ideas or any success in mobilizing PHPbb ?
Are there any plans or roadmap for mobilizing PHPbb ?
Again, search phpbb.com and here for "mobile style" and similar phrases.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.