Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
User avatar
RMcGirr83
Registered User
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:51 am
Contact:

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by RMcGirr83 »

That would be considered a big "team push"?

I haven't even installed 3.1 dev yet.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by MichaelC »

EXreaction wrote:I'm not sure why my name comes up as someone who was working on it, I've not done anything for it nor was I ever under the impression that I should look into it. There is a topic about it here: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=43341

If Nils is unable to commit any time to this, then someone else should take a look at it. The last commit was at least a year ago. If nobody wants to take up migrations, then maybe it ought to be pushed to 3.2, since it is really the only significant item holding 3.1 back.
Its not as simple as that. It is required for extensions to have SQL actions when installing/uninstalling. Its also required to be able to update to 3.1.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by EXreaction »

Why can't extensions just use the UMIL framework? That already exists and works very well.

Has install/database_update.php not been kept up-to-date?
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by MichaelC »

EXreaction wrote:Why can't extensions just use the UMIL framework? That already exists and works very well.

Has install/database_update.php not been kept up-to-date?
Because it wouldn't work with having an olympus release after 3.1.x (even 3.1-Alpha) is released; which would be required if a security issue is found.

As for UMIL, it doesn't work with the whole way extensions should be enabled/purged/disabled and by the time its adapted you might as well have done that part of migrations.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by EXreaction »

How doesn't it work with the way extensions should be enabled/purged/disabled? The database changes are stored in a simple array and any installing/updating/removing to or from any version can be done automatically from that one array.

There are plenty of ways around the issue of the mess that is database_update.php, a new database management framework is not needed for that.
Oleg
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 am
Contact:

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by Oleg »

Please propose any concrete alternatives in the RFC for migrations.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by imkingdavid »

I'm sorry, I forgot about this and it's been more than a month. I have opened a new Doodle Availability Poll with dates starting this coming Monday though the following Sunday. Please select the times you are available so we can choose the best timeslot to hold the meeting. Anyone is welcome to attend the meeting in the #phpbb-dev IRC channel on the Freenode server. I will post again when a date/time has been selected.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by imkingdavid »

Well... to be honest, I completely forgot about this (yet again). And since only 3 people (myself included) responded on the poll, and because I can't commit to a specific time tomorrow, even if I'll be around here and there, I guess we'll need to put this off for a little while.

I'll make a new availability poll later for dates in the second week of November, though I suppose after Thursday that week won't work because a lot of people will be on their way to or at the Appsterdam Hack a thon.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:Well... to be honest, I completely forgot about this (yet again). And since only 3 people (myself included) responded on the poll, and because I can't commit to a specific time tomorrow, even if I'll be around here and there, I guess we'll need to put this off for a little while.

I'll make a new availability poll later for dates in the second week of November, though I suppose after Thursday that week won't work because a lot of people will be on their way to or at the Appsterdam Hack a thon.
We can go to a meeting during the hackathon? If anything it make the meeting more interesting/active and there should be quite a lot to talk about. So perhaps the Sunday or Monday?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #5 - Planning Topic

Post by imkingdavid »

Well Hack-a-thon is about coding. I would rather not take up an entire hour of coding time for a meeting. If Nils wants to do that, we can, but especially since I'm not actually going to be there, I don't want to be the one to make that call. ;)
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
Post Reply