Development IRC Meeting #4 - Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 5:00pm UTC

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Development IRC Meeting #4 - Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 5:00pm UTC

Post by imkingdavid »

Development Meetings will occur at least once per month. As soon as 6 good, unique discussion points are raised and added to the agenda, a new availability poll (powered by Doodle) will be posted with dates from the following week so that potential participants can specify when they are and are not available. The most commonly available time slot will be chosen for the meeting. If multiple time slots work for the majority of participants, one will be chosen at my discretion.

This topic's purpose is to allow users involved in phpBB's development progress to suggest discussion points for the next development meeting. There may be up to 6 agenda items, and each item will get, at most, 10 minutes (so each meeting will be up to one hour in duration). All agenda items should be concise and specific enough for the meeting participants to reach a consensus within the 10 minute time slot. If you have multiple questions that each should only require a quick answer, they may be grouped into one discussion point. In the event that such a decision is not reached, further discussion can be scheduled for a later time. Please do not request for multiple discussion points to be added to the agenda unless no one else is suggesting anything; we want everyone have the opportunity for their concerns to be addressed.

Agenda:
  • Extensions-related: status of Migrations and Template Events
  • Using Symfony's HttpKernel for new controllers and extensions
IRC Log

Summary:
  1. Extensions-related: status of Migrations and Template Events
    1. Template events
      • We need to discuss how to handle when one extension wishes to overwrite a template event from another extension
    2. Migrations
      • naderman will continue to work on this; he had been unable to recently.
    3. Using Symfony's HttpKernel for new controllers and extensions
      • imkingdavid has created a Work In Progress Pull Request, which naderman has said he will look at.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #4 - Planning Topic

Post by imkingdavid »

The previous meeting was 3 weeks ago from yesterday. Because we are trying to have a meeting at least once every month (i.e. roughly 4 weeks), I would like to have a meeting this coming week.

I have created a new Availability Poll (powered by Doodle), so please fill out the times during which you are available (each meeting can last up to an hour, but may end early if we run out of items to discuss).

Also, as you can see, there is (currently) one item on the agenda. Please suggest an item for discussion. At the very least we can evaluate the items still required for 3.1, if nothing else. Of course, any suggested items should be specific enough for a 10-minute discussion/decision.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #4 - Planning Topic

Post by MichaelC »

Extensions Related Stuff (Migrations & Template events)?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #4 - Planning Topic

Post by imkingdavid »

I have removed today (Monday) from the poll. Currently, the two best time slots seem to be Wednesday and Thursday, both at 5:00pm UTC.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
naderman
Consultant
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:11 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: Development IRC Meeting #4 - Planning Topic

Post by naderman »

Let's do thursday then as it gives us a bit more time still.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #4 - Planning Topic

Post by imkingdavid »

Alright, Thursday 5pm UTC it is then.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Development IRC Meeting #4 - Planning Topic

Post by keith10456 »

Is this open to non-devs?

I'm not interested in actually "participating" but would like to listen in.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Development IRC Meeting #4 - Planning Topic

Post by imkingdavid »

keith10456 wrote:Is this open to non-devs?

I'm not interested in actually "participating" but would like to listen in.
Anyone is welcome to suggest items for discussion and to participate. We are trying to make our development process open to the public so we welcome public participation in our development discussion meetings.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
naderman
Consultant
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:11 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: Development IRC Meeting #4 - Planning Topic

Post by naderman »

imkingdavid wrote:Alright, Thursday 5pm UTC it is then.
Please update the topic title accordingly.

Another agenda point: Using Symfony's HttpKernel for new controllers and extensions
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Development IRC Meeting #4 - Planning Topic

Post by keith10456 »

imkingdavid wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Is this open to non-devs?

I'm not interested in actually "participating" but would like to listen in.
Anyone is welcome to suggest items for discussion and to participate. We are trying to make our development process open to the public so we welcome public participation in our development discussion meetings.
Great! And good to know about the open part 8-) What channel?
Post Reply