Review of implemented, proposed and pending events

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Oleg

Review of implemented, proposed and pending events

Post by Oleg »

Recently unknownbliss has been doing a lot of work on hooks for 3.1, in particular implementing a number of ledges. Right now these ledges are accumulating in my hooks+ledges diff along with the ones I add.

The ledges should be reviewed as all code that we commit gets reviewed. In case of ledges however I am not the best person to perform this review, as I do not write phpbb extensions/modifications. Ledge review deals primarily with the following three issues:

1. Ledge name
2. Exact location
3. Ledge parameters and their names

For example, we added a ledge to the copyright block in the footer. Should this ledge be before or after phpbb copyright?

The core does not really care for how these questions are answered. For extensions however, it would be unfortunate if we added a ledge that worked for one extension and almost worked but not quite for another extension. Then we'd either have to pile ledges one on top of another, which would be suboptimal, or we'd have to change existing ledges which might break extensions.

Therefore the idea is that the modification community would review the proposed ledges in a way similar to how the development team reviews core changes.

Unknownbliss mentioned that he might be interested in performing this review, which I would support. However it would be great if we had several people reviewing.

imkingdavid

Re: Review of proposed and pending ledges

Post by imkingdavid »

As a MOD author myself, I'll also take a look when I get a chance.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

As I said earlier I'd like to help in reviewing them (and making a lot of them as I have been) but nick has also started making them and he has plenty of MOD experience and could also help review them.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Oleg

Re: Review of implemented, proposed and pending events

Post by Oleg »

Right now events are accumulating here: https://github.com/p/phpbb3/compare/fea ... 2Fledges-2. There already are quite a few.

It would be a good idea for everyone interested in writing extensions to look that diff over and offer their thoughts on it, even if it's just to say that it looks ok.