CSS Sprites Generator

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
naim

CSS Sprites Generator

Post by naim »

In phpBB, all the styles use images that are small enough to put into CSS Sprites.
I think it would be a good idea to add a feature for styling that would take all of the small images and generate two files:
1. a png or gif file that would contain all small images.
2. a css file that would create CSS classes for each image.
Notice: Animated images will not be in the CSS Sprite image (or create a seperate image for animated icons).

on the board's forum-list body page, a 1x1 transparent pixel will be passed as a image - and the appropriate CSS class (from previously generated file) will be assigned.

Advantages:
  • Forum pages would load faster.
  • Less HTTP Requests = Less Bandwidth.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: CSS Sprites Generator

Post by hanakin »

naim wrote:In phpBB, all the styles use images that are small enough to put into CSS Sprites.
I think it would be a good idea to add a feature for styling that would take all of the small images and generate two files:
1. a png or gif file that would contain all small images.
2. a css file that would create CSS classes for each image.
Notice: Animated images will not be in the CSS Sprite image (or create a seperate image for animated icons).

on the board's forum-list body page, a 1x1 transparent pixel will be passed as a image - and the appropriate CSS class (from previously generated file) will be assigned.

Advantages:
  • Forum pages would load faster.
  • Less HTTP Requests = Less Bandwidth.
way to suggest somthing without doing some research orreading through the forums as this has allready been mentioned and is in the works for 3.2, several improvements for 3.1 have been made that are nessecary to accomplishing this
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Re: CSS Sprites Generator

Post by bonelifer »

I'm closing this as it's already being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=37476