Boilerplate and Bootstrap as HTML's design standard?

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
ecwpa

Boilerplate and Bootstrap as HTML's design standard?

Post by ecwpa »

HTML is already a standard, but the way you design for it it's not. Wouldn't be great if we all follow the same standard rules for design?

Wouldn't be great if a HTML5 theme could be easily ported to phpBB? I'm talking about common names for classes and IDs at least.

As developers/designers I'm sure you guys have seen websites based in Boostrap (that top bar is the clue), there're already websites to shocase this. I'm not saying phpBB should do just that, but I think its a trend worth checking out.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

brunoais

Re: Boilerplate and Bootstrap as HTML's design standard?

Post by brunoais »

ecwpa wrote: Wouldn't be great if a HTML5 theme could be easily ported to phpBB? I'm talking about common names for classes and IDs at least.
About that 2nd sentence... What do you mean?

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

Basically I'm talking about css classes. Bootstrap has something like

Code: Select all

input.span1,textarea.span1{display:inline-block;float:none;width:30px;margin-left:0;}
input.span2,textarea.span2{display:inline-block;float:none;width:90px;margin-left:0;}
input.span3,textarea.span3{display:inline-block;float:none;width:150px;margin-left:0;}
input.span4,textarea.span4{display:inline-block;float:none;width:210px;margin-left:0;}
input.span5,textarea.span5{display:inline-block;float:none;width:270px;margin-left:0;}
input.span6,textarea.span6{display:inline-block;float:none;width:330px;margin-left:0;}
input.span7,textarea.span7{display:inline-block;float:none;width:390px;margin-left:0;}
input.span8,textarea.span8{display:inline-block;float:none;width:450px;margin-left:0;}
input.span9,textarea.span9{display:inline-block;float:none;width:510px;margin-left:0;}
input.span10,textarea.span10{display:inline-block;float:none;width:570px;margin-left:0;}
input.span11,textarea.span11{display:inline-block;float:none;width:630px;margin-left:0;}
input.span12,textarea.span12{display:inline-block;float:none;width:690px;margin-left:0;}
input.span13,textarea.span13{display:inline-block;float:none;width:750px;margin-left:0;}
input.span14,textarea.span14{display:inline-block;float:none;width:810px;margin-left:0;}
input.span15,textarea.span15{display:inline-block;float:none;width:870px;margin-left:0;}
input.span16,textarea.span16{display:inline-block;float:none;width:930px;margin-left:0;}
My dream is being able to import a CSS "pack" that could change every button, or texbox in phpBB without worring about how phpBB or theme authors named their classes. Like a very defined convention for sizes, forms, etc.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

That code looks horrible. Have they heard of media queries?

While concept might be ok for basic generic websites, it is pointless for forums. Forums have many elements, they are meant to be styled without messing with html code. That idea doesn't account for complex layouts.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

That CSS reminds me of Muse xD
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Man that hurts my eyes!!!
I say -50! That CSS is one example of how not to make CSS. Even though that is possible that is really a very bad practice. I hate it.
Things should have multiple classes so that we can create common CSS for common elements and specific CSS for specific elements.
Having span1, span2,etc.... One looks at that CSS and asks "What the f*** is this sh*t?!?!?" Ya know what I'm sayn'?

coderdude

Post by coderdude »

Bootstrap's CSS is generated from LESS source files. See: http://lesscss.org/

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

I believe this is the part when I accept my defeat :P

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Arty wrote:That code looks horrible. Have they heard of media queries?
Yes they have, they actually have optional device specific CSS. It only looks that horrible because it's generated from less code.