RFC Process Change Suggestion

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: RFC Process Change Suggestion

Post by MichaelC »

wGEric wrote:I would like to suggest that you allow people to post RFCs in the 3.1 forum. Then whatever RFC isn't implemented by the time 3.1 is released then it should be moved to the 3.2 forum. Or even have only one RFC forum so that all RFCs are being discussed as if they are going to be implemented in the next major release.

People are posting in 3.2 but their real target is 3.1 which is confusing.
+1.

Or maybe even have
- 3.x
-- 3.x Discussion
-- 3.x RFC's
--- 3.x Rejected RFC's
--- 3.x Hook RFC's
-- 3.1 Discussion
-- 3.1 Accepted RFC's
--- 3.1 Accepted Hook RFC's
-- 3.2 Discussion
-- 3.2 Accepted RFC's
Rest as previously

Then with topic icons in the 3.x RFC forum allow users to select whether it would be for 3.2 or 3.1 (should they wish, not required) if there is a reason why it should not be in 3.1
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

wGEric wrote:Or even have only one RFC forum[....]
Yes, but that forum should be on phpBB.com for the reasons stated in my first post (at least until the RFC is accepted).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Pony99CA wrote:
Yes, but that forum should be on phpBB.com for the reasons stated in my first post (at least until the RFC is accepted).

Steve
I agree with having one forum (well, one for 3.x and one for 4.x) and I suppose if we were to consolidate the rfc forums, it would be okay to move it to .com. However, there's the issue of transferring the existing topics.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:

Steve
I agree with having one forum (well, one for 3.x and one for 4.x) and I suppose if we were to consolidate the rfc forums, it would be okay to move it to .com. However, there's the issue of transferring the existing topics.
Wouldn't have thought it would be that hard? Especially considering the people (or I'm guessing more likely Meik) know the phpBB code (probably) better than anyone else.

Re Ideastrike: Shame. Judging by the week end report here and the demo it would have been nice. Unless its hosted off-site?
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

Here is another Q&A/voting system written in PHP and released under GPL v2: http://question2answer.org WebPlatform.org uses it. Looks like you can vote on questions and answers underneath it. There are tags so you could categorize items.

Here is a list of Stack Exchange clones: http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions ... low-clones
Eric

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

We have a working ideas centre internally which is just being integrated with phpBB.com, one that's done it will be made public.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Unknown Bliss wrote:We have a working ideas centre internally which is just being integrated with phpBB.com, one that's done it will be made public.
I look forward to it :D

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

We implemented "Ideas" on phpBB.com for that. Having to have yet another separate login was something we wanted to avoid so we really don't need that anymore. Of course the Ideas area is currently under maintenance/unavailable but it's there.