State of Area51

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Pony99CA

Re: State of Area51

Post by Pony99CA »

Noxwizard wrote:Facebook and Google logins have been enabled.
Other than allowing a backup way to log in to phpBB in case I forget my phpBB login credentials, what good is allowing this? I still have to register, right (otherwise how can I get to the UCP to associate my ID here)?

For example, if I'm a guest, and the board allows guest posting, can I log in with my Google account to post and you'll display my Google name?

I just associated my Google account with phpBB here and I can login by just clicking the Google button (without typing anything in), so that might be a little faster. However, is that session-based (and will expire at some time, requiring typing again) or is that how it will always work (on this PC -- I presume you've set a cookie with my Google information).

Just curious,

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Elsensee
Former Team Member

Post by Elsensee »

When I try to connect with Facebook it says that it was not correctly set up. :/ Google works fine, however.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Pony99CA wrote:
Other than allowing a backup way to log in to phpBB in case I forget my phpBB login credentials, what good is allowing this? I still have to register, right (otherwise how can I get to the UCP to associate my ID here)?
If you do not have an account yet you can choose to login with Facebook/Google and it will automatically register you without a need for email confirmation for example. You also do not need to set a password at all which simplifies the process a bit.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

naderman wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
If you do not have an account yet you can choose to login with Facebook/Google and it will automatically register you without a need for email confirmation for example. You also do not need to set a password at all which simplifies the process a bit.
Really? I didn't know that you could register like that. That is very cool.

Is there any session preservation, though? I logged in with Google one day and the next day had to log in again. It was only a button click, so not a huge deal, but I wonder if sessions work for Google and Facebook logins.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

leschek

Post by leschek »

naderman wrote:If you do not have an account yet you can choose to login with Facebook/Google and it will automatically register you without a need for email confirmation for example. You also do not need to set a password at all which simplifies the process a bit.
I didn't know that too. There is not any sign on "Registration" page about that. Would be great to write there some notice that user could register via social network sites on login page.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

State of Area51 (2)

Post by Nicofuma »

Area51 is now running the latest development version of phpBB, aka github.com/phpbb/phpbb/tree/master

Major changes:
  • A new bbcode parser which solved a of bugs and add new features
  • Symfony 2.8
  • help, faq and report are using Symfony controllers
  • And a lot of internal changes
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: State of Area51 (2)

Post by callumacrae »

Nicofuma wrote:Area51 is now running the latest development version of phpBB, aka github.com/phpbb/phpbb/tree/master

Major changes:
  • A new bbcode parser which solved a of bugs and add new features
  • Symfony 2.8
  • help, faq and report are using Symfony controllers
  • And a lot of internal changes
https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/search.p ... =egosearch

I got this:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php on line 317: mysqli_free_result(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result
It only happened once
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

@callumacrae: I've already created a ticket for that (https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-13888)