Languages

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
lesterpoole

Languages

Post by lesterpoole »

All. A couple of questions have been raised regarding phpBB. The latest version I've upgraded too is in British English (so i've been told by my editor. Since we Americans are so ethnocentric about the English language, one of my Committee members asked why? Any history here please. Second, Any capacity for utilizing Babble Fish for interpreting posts to a phpBB?

tks, L Poole
Denver NC

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Languages

Post by callumacrae »

phpBB is british!

Get your "language" out of here >:( (I jest)

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

Actually not true, if my memories serves me right, there are at least two developers who are not British. It was decided long ago I think to base it on British English. One of the reason was that the servers are located in GB. But I may be wrong. At least that's what I still have on my memory form an long ago discussion regarding American English vs. British English ......... *thinking* . If you search for posts by SHS you might find more Info as he was taking care about the language part for a long time.

edit: corrected some spelling *sigh*

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

The actual developers are mosty in the vicinity of Europe and is likely why the language is British English though there might have been other contributing factors such as general userbase location or even where the phpBB founder was from. Nothing to do with the servers which are hosted by OSUOSL. ;)

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

Hmm, could have sworn the servers were mentioned in those discussions... oh well, you never stop learning :D .

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Changing the language dialect based on where developers live is rather short-sighted. What if at a later time the majority of developers hailed from UK, would the dialect be changed back?

The difference is really small as most of the content on boards is provided by users. For those admins that insist on correct dialect for their audience en-us language pack is available.

Moved to general development discussion.