Issue tracker - I'm very confused

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Issue tracker - I'm very confused

Post by callumacrae »

I've been having problems understanding the issue tracker for a very long time, is there any documentation about it? I was looking for something to patch, but I couldn't tell what needed patching and what didn't.

For example, this issue: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-8070 I think I could patch that, but does it need patching?

Also, how so I submit the patches themselves?

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

igorw

Re: Issue tracker - I'm very confused

Post by igorw »

Generally speaking, any 3.0 ticket that is "open", eg these, are waiting to be fixed. And patches for them are welcome. On the page of a ticket, such as the one you linked to, there is a "Submit Patch" button, that allows you to submit your patch. You can also specify a github compare link or even pull request there.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I'm assuming that I can't do any that are already assigned to someone? There just seem to be rather a lot assigned to the same people.

Also, how do I make a patch file?

~Callum
My blog

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

callumacrae wrote:I'm assuming that I can't do any that are already assigned to someone? There just seem to be rather a lot assigned to the same people.
You can off course also submit a patch for a ticket that has been assigned to someone. If the person already wrote something for the ticket, it is probably already submitted as a patch or otherwise the ticket is already marked as resolved.
callumacrae wrote:Also, how do I make a patch file?
See http://www.phpbb.com/development/get-involved/, but this document is slightly outdated and does not yet include recent changes. But it should give you a basic idea.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Thanks, that's cleared most things up :)

I still don't fully understand the process of creating a patch file, but I'm assuming that it's not just phpBB that uses them, so there will be plenty of documentation on the internet.

~Callum
My blog

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Creating a patch file is as easy as
svn diff
in subversion, obviously, or
git format-patch -n, where n is the number of commits you have made to your branch.

Patches can also be created with gnu diff (a Windows port is available):
diff -u PathToOriginalFile NewFile > MyPatch.diff
where the -u implies the "unifed diff" format, and the output goes into MyPatch.diff
A_Jelly_Doughnut