[RFC] Define max-width for prosilver

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
mrgtb

Re: Define max-width for prosilver

Post by mrgtb »

But then that means only people who use a large monitor screen res are going to benefit from the style change, while all others using 1024x768 or higher, but below that max-width setting will have same look as default ProSilver theme used now. I just don't see the sense in using such a huge max-width space when most people don't use that kind of extreme monitor resolution. Not on a 19inch monitor like I have at least, which is a very common size monitor used.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

That really doesn't make any sense to me. You're worried because the new max-width doesn't affect you? :?

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

What you've done is set the max-width to suit larger monitor screen res, so the forum doesn't look too narrow in the middle of a large screen with too much left/right margin space. That's all well and fine, but in doing so you''re ruling out supporting 19inch monitors, maybe (not sure), even some 21 inch monitors with the style having such a large max-width. Remember... not all monitors are wide-screen ones, mine isn't.

In short, you're creating that style to only suit large screen monitors really, which most people don't have.

What use would that style be to me when I'm still left with same default ProSilver look, while you benefit from it looking much better because you might have a large wide-screen monitor. Useless to me, unless I change the max-width to another setting to suit me like 960px.
Last edited by mrgtb on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

I think you don't understand the concept of "max-width". As the name implies, its a MAXIMUM, not fixed.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Well, I know what max-width is, know the difference between fixed and max-width (or min-width) used, or even a fluid style. Max-width is like a fuild style but wil only go so wide (max-width setting for white forum background with rounded corners). But when I changed the css file to test this out posted above, what I got was no background margin space being used and the forum "white background" with rounded edges filled the screen. I didn't see any page background colour with a left/right margin used still.

Your setting a max-width for the white forum background with rounded edges. So what do you think happens when it's set at 1300px and is displayed on 1024px screen res. The white background will fill the screen, no page background colour with margin left/right will be seen. That was the result I got when testing the code above to use it.

I'm not saying this can't be sorted by adding some "margin-auto" or "margin-left and margin-right" somewhere to ensure a margin space is still used for page background even at lower res (not looked into it, just tested the code posted above quick and removed it) after seeing result.
Last edited by DavidIQ on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge double post

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

1280px monitor
1280.png
(74.93 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
1024px monitor
1024.png
(58.54 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
I fail to see what the problem is.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Because in screen-shot two, where is the page background colour to give the effect of the forum being in a frame with rounded corners? Like in the first screen-shot. They look like two completely different styles, second one looks same as default ProSilver, while first one looks more fancy because you get to see the page background colour showing the forum contained in a frame with rounded corners.

Which is why I said before, if it looks like second screen-shot on my PC, whats the point of that style to me, it's still default prosilver look

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

So you're suggesting we reduce the effective screen-size for people who already own very small monitors even further... for the sake of a fancy border? That doesn't sound like a very good idea.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Max-width should be something like 960px (maybe 980px), whatever you can get away with using to suit "most people" (from 1024x768px and upwards) with the style. Sure... that means it won't look great on a very large monitor, it'll look like a small forum displayed in middle of a wide screen with loads of background left and right. But seems you're idea instead to suit those larger screens - because of that problem, is at the cost of not supporting all screen res below it to get same style look appearance, instead giving them pretty much same ProSilver theme we have now.

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

@mrgtb, I do not see a problem with that at different resolutions forum displayed a little differently. It's okay, it's good, is by design. No need to add border on small resolutions.
Sorry for my English.