[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
archon

Some suggestions

Post by archon »

What about:

Instead of:

Also, 'topic review' should be in front of the new topic textarea.
Last edited by DavidIQ on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged new topic with current discussion

keith10456

Re: Some suggestions

Post by keith10456 »

archon wrote:What about:

Instead of:

KurtisC

Re: Some suggestions

Post by KurtisC »

archon wrote:What about:

Instead of:

Personally, I think the first one looks much better. It's natural because the navigation links are usually nearer the top anyway which is what them breadcrumbs essentially are. I just think it looks and feels much better as far as looks go.

keith10456

Re: Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

Post by keith10456 »

I like the way it is now because I don't like UI where the end-user have to "search" for things that should be front and center. Notifications, Messages, etc should be very easy to find, not tucked-away.

Pete77s

Post by Pete77s »

@archon that demo image bugs me to no end. Like watching a black and white swirly animation, I'm not sure there is much a difference to my eyes.
I think its fine the way it is really. :geek:

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I don't know if it's because of how it was before these changes but I'm finding myself "naturally" going to the top row for the breadcrumbs instead of the second row.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

DavidIQ wrote:I don't know if it's because of how it was before these changes but I'm finding myself "naturally" going to the top row for the breadcrumbs instead of the second row.
It was like that for me too, but only for 2-3 days.

Mess

Post by Mess »

On phpbb.com i usually use ego search several times a day. Here and on my own forums i use the new posts search

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

BioLogIn wrote:Talking about UI cleanup, maybe we should consider moving ' Mark forums read ' to navbar as well? To me it doesn't look nice when it hangs alone on the right side with no text around...
+1 for that, plus it's creating extra unneeded whitespace between header/navbar area and forum listing starting (as a lone link) now others have been moved into a drop-down menu for latest posts e.t.c (which I think shared same line, but displayed on left) before. No point having one link creating extra whitespace (unless you add one or two more there with it) on right. Also, you tend to overlook that link sitting their solo on right side, it's not very obvious spotting it for some funny reason.

Saying that though, you also don't want too many links listed cluttering up the navar now it's a responsive theme. You can end up with two many listed in it (length ways).

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

^It doesn't look nice indeed, but the proposed solution deals only with the "Mark forums read" link.

I think we should find a sophisticated solution for a new way to mark the forums and topics as read, and eventually remove "Mark forums read", "Mark subforums read" and "Mark topics read".

The new way should be somewhat automatic, just like at Facebook which doesn't have any links to mark the discussions as read (except for some tiny circular icons to mark private messages and notifications).

But unfortunately that's something for v3.2 I guess...