[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

Post by hanakin »

Kamahl19 wrote:
For many users, that action link can be a vital part of their forum routine. Burying it behind menu-diving tedium only hurts the user experience
New and Your posts links are vital parts of my forum routine, so why are they hidden in dropdown menu?
Because they are not actions, but quick links exactly as the title of the menu suggests. In fact other than PHPBB no other forum even has this functionality. The closest is esoTalk which is done completely different and how I originally proposed them by coupling it to the search.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Kamahl19 wrote:
For many users, that action link can be a vital part of their forum routine. Burying it behind menu-diving tedium only hurts the user experience
New and Your posts links are vital parts of my forum routine, so why are they hidden in dropdown menu?
I agree. I keep saying they should be restored to the index page where they used to be, in addition to where they also now live in the quick links menu. I even submitted a ticket for this, but it has been ignored so far
Has an irascible disposition.

John P

Post by John P »

VSE wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote:
I agree. I keep saying they should be restored to the index page where they used to be, in addition to where they also now live in the quick links menu. I even submitted a ticket for this, but it has been ignored so far
+1

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

VSE wrote:I even submitted a ticket for this, but it has been ignored so far
Even replies to tickets seem to get ignored too. :roll:
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

valid

Post by valid »

Sorry but I don't like the change to move a lot of functionality under a dropdown menu. You need to click 1x more. :( Why contact also under a dropdown menu? Totally overkill dropdown menu's. :( Inefficient for desktop users.

aleha

Post by aleha »

valid wrote:Sorry but I don't like the change to move a lot of functionality under a dropdown menu. You need to click 1x more. :( Why contact also under a dropdown menu? Totally overkill dropdown menu's. :( Inefficient for desktop users.
I have seen in foundation topbar that link dropdown menus expand automatically on mouse over, whereas in responsive view (e.g. below some screen analysis) you need to click them to expand.

Maybe we could so this with an extension for the quick links.
John P wrote:
VSE wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote:
+1
+1

VSE, could you write the ticket link?

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

^Um if they are restored back on the index then please remove the quick links completely from the navbar. Let's not have double trouble...

aleha

Post by aleha »

I want New Posts on every page, not just the index. With UI/UX things it takes a while to get used to them, but I would prefer to have a easier access only to view new posts.
As I wrote earlier, maybe this should be done through an extension.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

aleha wrote: +1

VSE, could you write the ticket link?
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-12820
Has an irascible disposition.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

My input from the tracker:

Maybe an 'Option' (Yes another one!) in the Admin panel under Board or search settings or something?
"Show search links on index page" > YES | NO