[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: Combine all search related functionality

Post by hanakin »

I still think 3. needs discussion as it makes no sense semantically to be in the header. PHPBB really other than the logo has no header content as its ment to be integrated with a website. Where does the search field go when we have a primary navigation form the main site integrated into the header?

Thats why I think it should be in the action bar. Just put it on the right side when on index and where it currently is on the rest of the pages. Or we shove it all the way to the left and keep it their so marks would be on the left of the search and so would paging?
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote:I still think 3. needs discussion as it makes no sense semantically to be in the header. PHPBB really other than the logo has no header content as its ment to be integrated with a website. Where does the search field go when we have a primary navigation form the main site integrated into the header?

Thats why I think it should be in the action bar. Just put it on the right side when on index and where it currently is on the rest of the pages. Or we shove it all the way to the left and keep it their so marks would be on the left of the search and so would paging?
Top websites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, GitHub, eBay and IMDb have it as high as they can. Competitors such as MyBB and IPB also have it on top right.

And if we don't place it at the top, we will end up with an empty area just for the logo. :P

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Ticket: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-12598
PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/2504

What it currently looks like. Remember, this is just a work-in-progress:
test2.png
test2.png (12.22 KiB) Viewed 15288 times
Last edited by PayBas on Tue May 27, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Do we really need the word "View" before each one? The average person would assume that they'll view the respective data after they click the link. The links will be fine with "Your posts", "Unanswered posts", etc.

If it was just one or two of the "View..." then it wouldn't be a big deal. But with so many right behind each other it becomes redundant.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

keith10456 wrote:Do we really need the word "View" before each one? The average person would assume that they'll view the respective data after they click the link. The links will be fine with "Your posts", "Unanswered posts", etc.

If it was just one or two of the "View..." then it wouldn't be a big deal. But with so many right behind each other it becomes redundant.
Agreed
test3.png
test3.png (12.05 KiB) Viewed 15287 times

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

nice i like it press!

@ Louis7777 as for the placement the only reason they all have it at the top is because they have a top bar navigation but prosilver does not have that setup. Semantically the header is only a logo and a search field? WTF it might as well not even be a header just a logo. As I stated before this was done as its meant to be integrated with a fully working site. Notice on area51 the placement of the search field at the top. technically it should be in the top most section where the link to phpbb.com is and the link should be where the search field is.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote: @ Louis7777 as for the placement the only reason they all have it at the top is because they have a top bar navigation but prosilver does not have that setup.
That is not the reason. The reason is that the search is the most important feature and the user expects to find it at the top.

Have you seen IPB, MyBB and vBulletin? They have it at the top right.

hanakin wrote: Semantically the header is only a logo and a search field? WTF it might as well not even be a header just a logo. As I stated before this was done as its meant to be integrated with a fully working site. Notice on area51 the placement of the search field at the top. technically it should be in the top most section where the link to phpbb.com is and the link should be where the search field is.
This forum is in the "Discussion" section of Area51 and it is a website inside Area51. You can't search all Area51 using its search.

The website's actual top is where "Development Discussion Board" is. Thus, the search field is really at the top right and as high as it can possibly go.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

thats exactly my point! Why it will not fit at the top as its currently designed.

anyway the way the search works needs to be worked out before we can merge the search types anyway

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

PayBas wrote:
test3.png
I like that! +1

Mess

Post by Mess »

PayBas wrote:Image
Love it. Great job.