[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
keith10456

Re: Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

Post by keith10456 »

To ensure that there's room for extensions AND that it doesn't look crowded with the extension links, "Admin Control Panel" and "Moderator Control Panel" should be "ACP" and "MCP" in all desktop widths.

With just 2 exts in the above example it looks too crowded as is. Could you image 3 or even 2 with longer names?

Good work!

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

keith10456 wrote:To ensure that there's room for extensions AND that it doesn't look crowded with the extension links, "Admin Control Panel" and "Moderator Control Panel" should be "ACP" and "MCP" in all desktop widths.

With just 2 exts in the above example it looks too crowded as is. Could you image 3 or even 2 with longer names?

Good work!
I fully agree, but there was a long discussion that ACP/MCP is too hard to understand for newcomers.

Hopefully, with these new icons we can put the whole damn discussion to rest and just use the full name for the title attributes.

Besides, these "responsive texts" are a nightmare to do right, when both the right and the left side resize themselves dynamically... it all turns into spaghetti (code-wise).

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

remove the arrow on quick links as its sole purpose is a menu, clicking on the arrow has no different functionality then the text or icon and we can change the icon to the bars since it becomes the only responsive menu

and lets merge the acp mcp so that we do not have to merge the pms or rename them to messages

as to the fags I would display it unlogged in next to register but when your logged in merge it with the user menu.

and leave the team and member in the footer where they belong as all the footer content is already geared towards member related content. IE whos online, total registered, newest, staff. Put it in the pr and wait for the discussion there as its easy to move it around.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

PayBas wrote:Remember, the icons and styling isn't finished. I wanted to show the layout.
Very well!
With the smallest amount possible to leave personal messages icon in the form [0]? I think the place is, and the number of unread PM better not hide.
Sorry for my English.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote: 2. Added my take on the tools menu in the actionbar, as I stated before this makes more sense and gives us a commonality on topics and posts
I still don't get it. That mockup was showing the viewforum. The only tools menu that I can think of is at the viewtopic. Did you mean to add a dropdown for the "Post Reply" button? Either way, I think that the "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons should be left as they are.
PayBas wrote: Remember, the icons and styling isn't finished. I wanted to show the layout.
Excellent work :D

I'd like to request an addition, although I am not sure if this is the right place or if I should create an RFC. I don't know whether it has already been requested but here goes...

How about being able to navigate in all the dropdown menus (after opening them of course) with the keyboard arrows?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote:
hanakin wrote: 2. Added my take on the tools menu in the actionbar, as I stated before this makes more sense and gives us a commonality on topics and posts
I still don't get it. That mockup was showing the viewforum. The only tools menu that I can think of is at the viewtopic. Did you mean to add a dropdown for the "Post Reply" button? Either way, I think that the "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons should be left as they are.
you have subscribe to forum which is still currently in the footer that should be handled the same as subscribe to topic. Also the it was pointed out on IRC the the current implementation of it and the icon choice is not proper. This is also consistent with other forum software where the button has the same functionality as it currently does, the arrow is a conjoined drop down with more functionality.

I want to post a new topic in the forums , I want to subscribe to the forum.

I want to post a reply in the topic, I want to subscribe to the topic, i want to print the topic, etc..
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

responsive.png
(151.21 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
No mockup. Functioning code

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

Great work PayBas! Now the "Quick links" on the left does not bother me anymore :p

It is possible to keep "Notifications" and "Private messages" when they're collapsed the first time? Instead of switching between full text and number?

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

M.Gaetan89 wrote:Great work PayBas! Now the "Quick links" on the left does not bother me anymore :p

It is possible to keep "Notifications" and "Private messages" when they're collapsed the first time? Instead of switching between full text and number?
The idea is:
Full > Compact > Responsive > Responsive + compact.

You are referring to compact. If we don't use compact, the responsive will kick in very early. This means that all your nice extension icons will be hidden very soon. Compact is a nice compromise. It keeps all icons visible, but smaller.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

PayBas , Excellent work. God bless you