[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

Post by MattF »

No but we are saying it was the first thing some of us clicked on when visiting a board... Now it's got to be the 2nd thing.

If I click on that link 100 times a year, now I have to do 200 clicks a year for the same result....meta carpal tunnel syndrome, here I come!!! :P
Has an irascible disposition.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

sajaki wrote:The active topics link was probably the first thing i click on visiting a 3.0 board. not sure why you think it's clutter. now i have to select it from the popup.
I agree it was more handy having those links like that displayed on forum index before below navbar, no need to click a drop-down menu then link (two clicks). But keep this in mind though, they was only displayed as links on forum index page (when not in drop-down list). Now you can click those links for other pages unlike before, such as from reading a topic. Whereas previously you'd have to go back to forum index page from reading a topic first - to see the links to click again.

So both ways have their Pros and Cons. But overall having them in the drop-down displayed on other pages to click without having to go first back to homepage index is best option. Even if not as fast for using from forum index unlike when not in a drop-down menu at first. Both ways would require two clicks from reading a topic to use active topics link, but drop-down menu way is far faster of both ways, you don't have to load homepage again. Plus old way you'd be making two HTTP requests instead of one from a topic.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

honestly its a drop-dwon not a redirect link everyone acts like its so much more effort to click a drop-down link it takes all of an extra second. It can be less if we make the default action of the menu execute on hover outside of mobile.

by condensing it in the menu you gain the added benefit of the links on all pages instead of just the one. Its a horrible design decision in the first place to put it where it was and implement it in the way it was. Personally from a UI/design stand point it makes more sense as a custom run search filter from the search field not unlike the search found here http://esotalk.dev/

move on. This is a 30 page topic already on a massive merge discussion specifically about the quick links which was only a small part of this RFC. Disscussion about one aspect should happen in its own RFC/topic
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

hanakin wrote:honestly its a drop-dwon not a redirect link everyone acts like its so much more effort to click a drop-down link it takes all of an extra second. It can be less if we make the default action of the menu execute on hover outside of mobile.
Out of curiosity, how does it work in a screen reader for limited-vision users?

There's also some more discussion in the Quick Links topic.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Pony99CA wrote: There's also some more discussion in the Quick Links topic.
thats was my point the discussion should be discussed their rather than in here
Pony99CA wrote:
hanakin wrote:honestly its a drop-dwon not a redirect link everyone acts like its so much more effort to click a drop-down link it takes all of an extra second. It can be less if we make the default action of the menu execute on hover outside of mobile.
how does what work they way it is now? They way it was before? on hover menu?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

hanakin wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: There's also some more discussion in the Quick Links topic.
thats was my point the discussion should be discussed their rather than in here
I know -- that's why I linked to it.
hanakin wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
How does the Quick Links menu work now compared to when there were actual links in the header? Is the user told that there's a menu and what's in the menu without having to open the menu?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Pony99CA wrote:
hanakin wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
How does the Quick Links menu work now compared to when there were actual links in the header? Is the user told that there's a menu and what's in the menu without having to open the menu?

Steve
yeah thats kinda why I half agree with VSE on the re-implimentation of the links on the main page where they were as well as keeping it in quicklinks for the initial release as a transition to gain that data

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

What about mobile viewing though... if you put that long list of horizontal links back on homepage. It doesn't suit ProSilver anymore having the links like that, not now it's a responsive theme that will be viewed in much smaller devices.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

mrgtb wrote:What about mobile viewing though... if you put that long list of horizontal links back on homepage. It doesn't suit ProSilver anymore having the links like that, not now it's a responsive theme that will be viewed in much smaller devices.
it would not need to be their in mobile as its only their to provide a transition to using the quick-links menu anyway

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

VSE wrote: Automatically marking a forum as read just because you visited it, but didn't actually read anything, is totally misguiding.
Jessica. wrote:Automated system? No thanks. I want to use the Mark read whenever I want to use it. I use it every so often on .com...
BioLogIn wrote:I use "Mark * read" on regular basis to keep track of things at my forums. And I'd hate to see any 'AI improvements' on that, since that would totally screw things up completely.

[...]

I think we should go for consistency and move "Mark as read" to some menu as well.
Pony99CA wrote:Why wouldn't "Mark forums read" be in the Quick Links like "Unread posts"? They would seem to go well together there.
Kamahl19 wrote:I have never ever used Mark forum / subforum / all topics as read in 9 years of using phpbb. Just saying :)

What about moving it to bottom navbar? There already are actions like Subscribe topic, Bookmark topic. So there could be actions for forums / subforums too.
Alright, I have an idea to propose. A different approach. We have 3 links to deal with: "Mark forums read", "Mark topics read" and "Mark subforums read".

They don't seem to fit well in their current places, they seem like lone links and they don't look well in responsive mode for mobiles. Here's what we can do about them:

1. Move "Mark forums read" and "Mark topics read" to the Quick Links dropdown menu. The former will appear only at the index and the latter only at the specific forums. So far that should be piece of cake to implement.

2. And finally we have "Mark subforums read" left. We can utilize the icons next to the forum title similar to how IPB does it:
mark-read-tooltip.png
mark-read-tooltip.png (12.41 KiB) Viewed 21251 times