[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Combine all search related functionality

Post by Marshalrusty »

I am Yuriy Rusko, although that shouldn't make any difference.

If you have a constructive opinion on the above, I would be very interested to hear it.

To clarify (before this gets misunderstood), I am very much a fan of the overall aesthetic improvement seen there. The part that worries me is that the elements are incoherently organized, resulting in a somewhat confused interface that will result in people having to click around to find things, even after using the system for a long time.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

Hello Marshalrusty sorry , i did not know your real name.

you think this element is confusing for users but i don't think so. the design of the this element is very good and i think every user can understand it is a dropdown menu for searching. there is dropdown menu tools in topic ( subscribe topic ,... ) too.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

I agree with Marshalrusty on this.

If the user open the search dropdown, and see (for example) "view your posts", he might understand "view your posts in this topic", which is not correct (right?).
In my opinion, the search dropdown only makes sense in the global search box, not in the forum/topic one.

"Advanced search" redirect the user to search.php, no? So it's the same as clicking the search icon/pressing enter. So it might not be useful either.

@Meis2M: Marshalrusty is not talking about the design, but the functionnality itself. We all agree that the new design is the right way to go. However, the organization of the elements are not great.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

Why do we even need an icon in the first place? What's wrong with this? I think everyone knows what a down arrow is for. :P
mockup.png
mockup.png (9.53 KiB) Viewed 12467 times
*EDIT* Seems I missed a whole page about the "view your posts" thing. I have no input with regards to that.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

yes i understand now.

Marshalrusty and M.Gaetan89 talking right.

why "view your posts" ? why not change text to "view my posts" ? is think if change "your" to "my" it will be solved.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

The icon is nicer looking, although removing the icon doesn't actually solve the issue of the search dropdown having very little to do with the actual search. I would expect that dropdown to change contexts (ie search my posts, search the posts in this topic, search unread posts, etc.). The things there are actually links, and there's nothing to suggest that.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

IMHO, the search dropdown should only be available in the global search field, where the current "advanced search" link is. It has nothing to do in the forum/topic search field.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

Yeah, I realized after my post that I missed some others. That's why I made this edit.
tmbackoff wrote:*EDIT* Seems I missed a whole page about the "view your posts" thing. I have no input with regards to that.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

Ah, yes, sorry. I didn't see your edit :/

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

The original concept was to merge all the search functionality into the header and add an option to filter to page specific searches. Thus completely removing it from the actionbar.

Some of the developers pointed out on git that moving the links to the dropdown on the main page would be too confusing. It was compromised to only edit the page specific search box in this way as those links were not present at that time
Donations welcome via Paypal Image