[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
mrgtb

Re: Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

Post by mrgtb »

There is one solution for now, move it to left-side (using same line as time-zone displayed does) on right. Then that would get rid of the extra whitespace line the link is using on it's own.

Never mind that idea, can see when minimizing browser to mobile viewing state that could cause some issues.
Last edited by mrgtb on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

What could be done, just an idea. You could lose the FAQ image and link (next to that drop-down menu), have another second drop-down menu next to it instead and stick both FAQ and Mark forums as read links in it. Plus, there would be scope then also to use that second drop-down menu for more link if ever added extra. You wouldn't be using more space up in navbar because the second drop-down menu would simply replace the FAQ link their.

The FAQ link doesn't get used much anyway in general.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

BioLogIn wrote:Talking about UI cleanup, maybe we should consider moving ' Mark forums read ' to navbar as well? To me it doesn't look nice when it hangs alone on the right side with no text around...
-1 Mark Forums is fine where it is, and should not be moved. We've done enough cataclysmic changes to Prosilver. It's familiar and applicable where it currently sits.

Find a better, erm, not really better, just different, UI for it in 3.2 with a whole new Prosilver theme instead.
Has an irascible disposition.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Why wouldn't "Mark forums read" be in the Quick Links like "Unread posts"? They would seem to go well together there.

By the way, is there some reason why the breadcrumbs in the header don't match the breadcrumbs in the footer?

Header: Area51 ‹Board index ‹phpBB 3.x Development ‹[3.1/Ascraeus] Merged RFCs

Footer: Area51 ‹Board index

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Pony99CA wrote: By the way, is there some reason why the breadcrumbs in the header don't match the breadcrumbs in the footer?

Header: Area51 ‹Board index ‹phpBB 3.x Development ‹[3.1/Ascraeus] Merged RFCs

Footer: Area51 ‹Board index

Steve
well the reason is because of spacing, having the entire menu their will not work. actually we still have a function link on forums. Since its by itself it has not got moved into a a tools dropdown.

I was thinking about this though noticing on mobile that the return link is removed at the bottom of a topic. We should probably not hide that. maybe put some sort of back link in the footer when on topics, next to the breadcrumb
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Pony99CA wrote:Why wouldn't "Mark forums read" be in the Quick Links like "Unread posts"? They would seem to go well together there.
The Quick Links are links to other pages and/or results.

Mark forums read is an action.

In addition to that, it is variable, as it only displays on forum list pages, and on topic list pages it changes to Mark topics read. What's more, having it where it has always been is a convenient, intuitive and immediately accessible link to perform this commonly used action.
Has an irascible disposition.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

The Quick Links is a bad concept that was implemented just because we had no better place for all those links.

(However, I prefer to have all those links in the Quick Links menu rather than having clutter on the index page. For that reason, I want Quick Links to stay.)

Even the name "Quick Links" is wrong. Quick Links means that you are being offered quick access to pages that have another way - which is their default - to be accessed. There's no other link to access New posts, Unread posts, Unanswered posts or Active topics.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

VSE wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Why wouldn't "Mark forums read" be in the Quick Links like "Unread posts"? They would seem to go well together there.
The Quick Links are links to other pages and/or results.

Mark forums read is an action.
True, but at a higher level, they're all "actions" -- they do something. Plus, JavaScript links on some sites often perform actions that don't go to another page.
VSE wrote:In addition to that, it is variable, as it only displays on forum list pages, and on topic list pages it changes to Mark topics read.
So you're saying that it would be technically difficult to put it there. Fair enough, but I still think that it would be better in the menu.
VSE wrote: What's more, having it where it has always been is a convenient, intuitive and immediately accessible link to perform this commonly used action.
While that's true to some degree, by that logic, everything should have stayed the same.

I also disagree that Mark All Read is "commonly used". Did you take a survey on that? I use Members, View New Posts and View Your Posts far more than I ever use Mark All Read (which is almost never), so why did those move and Mark All Read didn't?

Maybe we should have a "People" menu in the header with Members, The Team and Contact Us in that. (You could also keep Contact Us in the footer, as that seems to be a meme.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I have never ever used Mark forum / subforum / all topics as read in 9 years of using phpbb. Just saying :)

What about moving it to bottom navbar? There already are actions like Subscribe topic, Bookmark topic. So there could be actions for forums / subforums too.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

I believe we need a cleaner solution for that link, rather than just moving it here and there. An automatic system for marking what we've read would be nice in 3.2.

We shouldn't be marking anything other than the notifications and private messages. I've used the "Mark forums read" only a handful of times in the past.