[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
naderman
Consultant

Re: Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

Post by naderman »

Louis7777 wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:Once again, ACP and MCP have absolutely nothing to do with the profile or the user account. They are advanced tools available to certain people who have those permissions. They are not functions of the user's account, and it makes absolutely no sense for them to be listed there.
At least a couple of phpBB devs associated with the development of Board3 portal must have thought the opposite, since ACP and MCP have always been placed at its User Menu.

Yes, they are control panels for the board/forums (i.e. not control panels for the user's account) so it doesn't feel completely right to list them there, but it isn't wrong either since they are both user's tools. Plus, normal members don't see them at all so it only comes down to how moderators and admins would feel about their placing.

In any case, isn't it much better to save all that space they occupy (even if we don't move them to an ideal place)?
They are mistaken. ACP and MCP are used by all users with appropriate permissions, all other options you reach by clicking on your username are related to you specifically. So the ACP/MCP should not be found there.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Depends on how you perceive the username link/button I guess. I don't think there's just one way. Personally I could expect to find the access links to duties/jobs that I've been assigned to, such as moderation and administration. So in that way, I think they are options that are also related to me. But if I only regard it as a link to control my profile and my board experience, then yeah, ACP and MCP don't fit there.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote:Depends on how you perceive the username link/button I guess. I don't think there's just one way. Personally I could expect to find the access links to duties/jobs that I've been assigned to, such as moderation and administration. So in that way, I think they are options that are also related to me. But if I only regard it as a link to control my profile and my board experience, then yeah, ACP and MCP don't fit there.
exactly its not a profile link! it has a link in the drop-down for the profile. So in this context its a menu functionality that you have access to, yes others may have access to something but that is not how we thing we are all selfish people and want all the power so its more common to look at it from that perspective, and since its not a profile link the relationships are looser.
Louis7777 wrote:
hanakin wrote:so in order to get a better idea for spacing of all the content here is one showcasing all the merge RFCs

prosilver-3.1-change-proposals(1024).png
What is that dropdown at the New Topic?
hanakin wrote: 2. Added my take on the tools menu in the actionbar, as I stated before this makes more sense and gives us a commonality on topics and posts
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

x.png
(119.77 KiB) Downloaded 670 times
Would make more sense to me, and looks better IMO.

And yes, I like "team" and "members" to be together (in the footer to make room for extension icons in the header). But that's just my personal preference.
Last edited by PayBas on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Combine all search related functionality

Post by MattF »

PayBas wrote:Keep in mind that we use those 3 stripes/bars icons everywhere already as responsive menus. On your smartphone you will see those stripes everywhere in the footer and header.

If possible, I would choose something different. Just to make it stand out.
True but those bars mean: this button contains a menu, click me to see the menu... So it is perfectly applicable in this case as well.
Has an irascible disposition.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

VSE wrote:
PayBas wrote:Keep in mind that we use those 3 stripes/bars icons everywhere already as responsive menus. On your smartphone you will see those stripes everywhere in the footer and header.

True but those bars mean: this button contains a menu, click me to see the menu... So it is perfectly applicable in this case as well.
Well IF we do this, then all the overflowing icons in the top-bar should get "pushed" into the quick-links dropdown (just like responsive UCP/MCP/ACP Tabs). Otherwise it would get incredibly confusing/cluttered.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

PayBas wrote:
VSE wrote:

Well IF we do this, then all the overflowing icons in the top-bar should get "pushed" into the quick-links dropdown (just like responsive UCP/MCP/ACP Tabs). Otherwise it would get incredibly confusing/cluttered.
Sorry I didn't notice there were 5 more pages of discussion since that quote I did, which makes my point a non-point now :?

Your latest mockup in the previous post above is the best so far... I was gonna say, while reading through it, that all user related links should be on the top row, and all breadcrumbs and page links (faq, members, team, etc.) on the second row. But it looks like you've mostly gotten to that point by now though :)
Has an irascible disposition.

Mess

Post by Mess »

PayBas wrote:Image
Would make more sense to me, and looks better IMO.

And yes, I like "team" and "members" to be together (in the footer to make room for extension icons in the header). But that's just my personal preference.
Perfect!

I really like how far we have come with the "new" prosilver.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

@PayBas Im good with that if the MCP/ACP responsively merge with the quicklinks
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

responsive.png
(198.14 KiB) Downloaded 623 times
Remember, the icons and styling isn't finished. I wanted to show the layout.
hanakin wrote:@PayBas Im good with that if the MCP/ACP responsively merge with the quicklinks
That's also possible. Doesn't matter to me.