Link topic to first unread post

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Post Reply
User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:31 am

VSE+ wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
VSE+ wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:P.S. I now find it annoying to go to the main phpbb.com site, click on the topic title, and finding myself at the beginning of the topic instead of where I last left off, which cannot be determined by just looking at the topic.
I guarantee the world at large would be equally annoyed... Remember the whole switching profiles to the right debacle with phpbb 3.0? This would have been just as jarring and abnormal to anybody used to visiting phpBB communities.
I'm not sure that you two are on the same page here. David is saying that going to phpBB.com (running phpBB 3.0.x) is now annoying because he does not get taken to the first unread post. In other words, he is used to the new phpBb 3.1 behavior. Saying that the rest of the world would be equally annoyed undermines your point. :D

By the way, are the topic icons always displayed? If there's an option to turn those off (or if they don't get displayed at all on mobile devices because they take up space), having the topic icons go to the first unread post may not work. Or are topic icons supposed to go to the first post in the topic in this proposal?

Steve
David is implying that the inconsistency and break in tradition is causing confusion across boards and platforms (and thus, will do so for everyone).
I was implying that the way it worked on phpBB.com was annoying me and I would prefer it worked how it works here, which would have happened once we upgraded the main forum to 3.1. Now I'm annoyed in both locations thanks to supposed "tradition". But ok I guess... :P

Between you, Nils, and Yuriy you guys came up with a "solution", which will end up being less useful than the previous implementation because if I'm viewing a list of topics, I click on the topic icon and that doesn't work then the icon will end up getting ignored. Somehow you guys assume that users will train themselves to only click on the icon when there are unread posts and click on the topic title the rest of the time.
Image

User avatar
John P
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by John P » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 am

Because it's tradition is a very bad argument.
The result will be changing the core again.

User avatar
nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by nickvergessen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:18 am

I would like to make blue icons clickable aswell to keep the "feel" consistent
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

User avatar
Mess
Registered User
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by Mess » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:27 am

nickvergessen wrote:I would like to make blue icons clickable aswell to keep the "feel" consistent
+1

User avatar
PayBas
Registered User
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by PayBas » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:35 am

nickvergessen wrote:I would like to make blue icons clickable aswell to keep the "feel" consistent
Agreed. And while we're at it. Please make the title="" attributes more descriptive of what will actually happen if we click there. The only way to find out what exactly will happen is to look at the URL of the link.

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 am

Btw the link always trying to take you to the last unread post also had the convenient side effect that you would be taken to the end of the topic if there wasn't any unread posts, which is why having the icon always clickable, what I thought we had all agreed on before the ticket got slightly modified and a new PR requested/sent, would have been ok.
Image

User avatar
VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by VSE » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:50 pm

nickvergessen wrote:I would like to make blue icons clickable aswell to keep the "feel" consistent
DavidIQ wrote:Btw the link always trying to take you to the last unread post also had the convenient side effect that you would be taken to the end of the topic if there wasn't any unread posts, which is why having the icon always clickable, what I thought we had all agreed on before the ticket got slightly modified and a new PR requested/sent, would have been ok.
I guess another valid argument for making those icons all clickable would be to help out with the colorblind :?
Has an irascible disposition.

User avatar
nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by nickvergessen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:10 pm

DavidIQ wrote:..that you would be taken to the end of the topic if there wasn't any unread posts...
This did not happen ;)
VSE+ wrote:I guess another valid argument for making those icons all clickable would be to help out with the colorblind :?
Luckily there is no red-blue colorblindness out there ;)
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:49 am

nickvergessen wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:..that you would be taken to the end of the topic if there wasn't any unread posts...
This did not happen ;)
You're right...apologies. It took you to the last page of the topic, which it still does if you use the unread querystring after reading the topic. ;)
Image

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by EXreaction » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:29 am

It took you to the first page of the topic always, that behavior didn't change with the prior patch.

Post Reply