Link topic to first unread post

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Post Reply
User avatar
BioLogIn
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by BioLogIn »

change topic link for unread topics to link to first unread
Did this at my forums a few years ago. Was thanked by quite a number of users.
Long story short, +1

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:02 am
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by Paul »

If we change the topic title to link the the first unread post instead of the first post (Thats what I understand that this RFC is about), we will loose the functionality to get to the first page without marking all posts unread that are on later page. Personally I would prefer that the topic icon for read/unread would link to the first unread post (Which some other forum software do as well), and keep the link to the first post for the topic title.

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by imkingdavid »

I think I agree with paulus on this. Changing the topic title link behavior is rather drastic. Is there no way to make the unread posts icon a little bit larger when the screen size is detected to be small (i.e. on phones)? Also, how do other forum software handle this? We should probably see what is most common and go with that so that users will have some consistency in this regard.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
Arty
Former Team Member
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Mars
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by Arty »

imkingdavid wrote:Is there no way to make the unread posts icon a little bit larger when the screen size is detected to be small (i.e. on phones)?
Not without making total mess of layout
imkingdavid wrote:Also, how do other forum software handle this?
XF handles it by linking topic title to first unread post, linking first post time to first post.
I have it running on customer's forum where 99% of visitors are not nerds (its about sewing). Users immediately adopted to change and find it very intuitive.

User avatar
Mess
Registered User
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by Mess »

BioLogIn wrote:
change topic link for unread topics to link to first unread
Did this at my forums a few years ago. Was thanked by quite a number of users.
Long story short, +1
Huge +1, the current way makes no sense (to me).

User avatar
Kamahl19
Registered User
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:31 am

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by Kamahl19 »

Paulus, mostly you want to read first post only once. Then you know what the topic is about and you read only new posts. Link to unread post is used much frequently therefor I think this idea is really reasonable.

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1834
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by DavidIQ »

paulus wrote:If we change the topic title to link the the first unread post instead of the first post (Thats what I understand that this RFC is about), we will loose the functionality to get to the first page without marking all posts unread that are on later page.
If you've already posted to a topic then you're only interested in seeing the latest unread posts anyways and if you've never read a topic then you'd end up on the first page as well. I've never used this functionality you speak of in fact I find it annoying on most occasions to have clicked on the topic and have to either fish for the last unread post or to scroll to where I need to be at, often rereading most posts.
Image

User avatar
Mess
Registered User
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by Mess »

DavidIQ wrote:If you've already posted to a topic then you're only interested in seeing the latest unread posts anyways and if you've never read a topic then you'd end up on the first page as well. I've never used this functionality you speak of in fact I find it annoying on most occasions to have clicked on the topic and have to either fish for the last unread post or to scroll to where I need to be at, often rereading most posts.
Precisely what my users say. :)

User avatar
bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:41 am

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by bonelifer »

Arty wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:Also, how do other forum software handle this?
XF handles it by linking topic title to first unread post, linking first post time to first post.
I have it running on customer's forum where 99% of visitors are not nerds (its about sewing). Users immediately adopted to change and find it very intuitive.
This sounds like a good solution.

User avatar
Kamahl19
Registered User
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:31 am

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by Kamahl19 »

I like that solution too

Post Reply