Link topic to first unread post

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Arty
Former Team Member

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by Arty »

Pony99CA wrote:Personally, I think that if there are no unread posts, you should go to the last post. That will be more internally consistent than going to the oldest post. The current rule basically goes like this -- Go to the first "new" post, otherwise go to the oldest post. Going to the newest post seems better.

Steve
If there are no unread posts, user might want to see last post or first post. Thread row has both. No need to change that behavior.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Arty wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Personally, I think that if there are no unread posts, you should go to the last post. That will be more internally consistent than going to the oldest post. The current rule basically goes like this -- Go to the first "new" post, otherwise go to the oldest post. Going to the newest post seems better.
If there are no unread posts, user might want to see last post or first post. Thread row has both. No need to change that behavior.
What "thread"?

If the user has no other way, he always go to the first post by clicking the topic title and then clicking the First Page link in the pagination area (or pressing Ctrl+Home if he's on the first page).

NOTE: I have no problem with the current behavior. My comments only apply if the behavior of clicking the topic title is changed.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

spello

Post by spello »

Arty wrote:
  • Topic link to link to unread post if there is unread post and user is not bot
  • Time stamp of first post to link to first post
  • Adds titles to first and last post links
I think that we should add one additional behavior:
  • Time stamp of last post to link to last post
Thanks to this behavior would be unified in both columns.

Moreover, it would be nice if user has ability to mark post as unread (also private messages), for example, to read it later [something like that was done in phpBB3.0 MOD]

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

I'm finding this new change a bit disorienting and drastic!

Shouldn't there at least be a an ACP option for it (or better even an UCP option, let users decide how they want their topic clicks to behave)... To have the normal way or this new way?

It just seems awkward now to click the topic link and be taken to somewhere buried within the thread. I also can't say I've experienced this form of behavior with any other form software out there. I really think the topic title should always just take you to the beginning. My 2cents.
Has an irascible disposition.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Nooo dont change it back I love this new functionality. :(

Pico88

Post by Pico88 »

I also prefer current title behaviour - move to first unread post. ;)

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

VSE+ wrote:I'm finding this new change a bit disorienting and drastic!

Shouldn't there at least be a an ACP option for it (or better even an UCP option, let users decide how they want their topic clicks to behave)... To have the normal way or this new way?

It just seems awkward now to click the topic link and be taken to somewhere buried within the thread. I also can't say I've experienced this form of behavior with any other form software out there. I really think the topic title should always just take you to the beginning. My 2cents.
+1
sorry for my bad english :oops:

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

I tend to agree here. I'm not sure whether its about "getting used to it" or whether its just a personal preference decision.
However I think having more options like https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/ucp.php? ... &mode=view is the wrong way. Also it should be fairly easy to make an extension for having the old way (need to check whether the event is in place, but apart from that it's 1 event you need to listen to)

Also on desktops you have no problem in clicking the unread icon easily if you want to the first unread post. On mobile devices its a bit more difficult.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

It should be very easy to have different behaviors depending upon what the browser size is.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

EXreaction wrote:It should be very easy to have different behaviors depending upon what the browser size is.
Well I think it should be consistent. But the intension was that the icon was too small.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM