Link topic to first unread post

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Link topic to first unread post

Post by DavidIQ »

VSE+ wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
VSE+ wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:P.S. I now find it annoying to go to the main phpbb.com site, click on the topic title, and finding myself at the beginning of the topic instead of where I last left off, which cannot be determined by just looking at the topic.
I guarantee the world at large would be equally annoyed... Remember the whole switching profiles to the right debacle with phpbb 3.0? This would have been just as jarring and abnormal to anybody used to visiting phpBB communities.
I'm not sure that you two are on the same page here. David is saying that going to phpBB.com (running phpBB 3.0.x) is now annoying because he does not get taken to the first unread post. In other words, he is used to the new phpBb 3.1 behavior. Saying that the rest of the world would be equally annoyed undermines your point. :D

By the way, are the topic icons always displayed? If there's an option to turn those off (or if they don't get displayed at all on mobile devices because they take up space), having the topic icons go to the first unread post may not work. Or are topic icons supposed to go to the first post in the topic in this proposal?

Steve
David is implying that the inconsistency and break in tradition is causing confusion across boards and platforms (and thus, will do so for everyone).
I was implying that the way it worked on phpBB.com was annoying me and I would prefer it worked how it works here, which would have happened once we upgraded the main forum to 3.1. Now I'm annoyed in both locations thanks to supposed "tradition". But ok I guess... :P

Between you, Nils, and Yuriy you guys came up with a "solution", which will end up being less useful than the previous implementation because if I'm viewing a list of topics, I click on the topic icon and that doesn't work then the icon will end up getting ignored. Somehow you guys assume that users will train themselves to only click on the icon when there are unread posts and click on the topic title the rest of the time.

John P

Post by John P »

Because it's tradition is a very bad argument.
The result will be changing the core again.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

I would like to make blue icons clickable aswell to keep the "feel" consistent
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Mess

Post by Mess »

nickvergessen wrote:I would like to make blue icons clickable aswell to keep the "feel" consistent
+1

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

nickvergessen wrote:I would like to make blue icons clickable aswell to keep the "feel" consistent
Agreed. And while we're at it. Please make the title="" attributes more descriptive of what will actually happen if we click there. The only way to find out what exactly will happen is to look at the URL of the link.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Btw the link always trying to take you to the last unread post also had the convenient side effect that you would be taken to the end of the topic if there wasn't any unread posts, which is why having the icon always clickable, what I thought we had all agreed on before the ticket got slightly modified and a new PR requested/sent, would have been ok.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

DavidIQ wrote:Btw the link always trying to take you to the last unread post also had the convenient side effect that you would be taken to the end of the topic if there wasn't any unread posts, which is why having the icon always clickable, what I thought we had all agreed on before the ticket got slightly modified and a new PR requested/sent, would have been ok.
I guess another valid argument for making those icons all clickable would be to help out with the colorblind :?
Has an irascible disposition.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

DavidIQ wrote:..that you would be taken to the end of the topic if there wasn't any unread posts...
This did not happen ;)
VSE+ wrote:I guess another valid argument for making those icons all clickable would be to help out with the colorblind :?
Luckily there is no red-blue colorblindness out there ;)
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

nickvergessen wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:..that you would be taken to the end of the topic if there wasn't any unread posts...
This did not happen ;)
You're right...apologies. It took you to the last page of the topic, which it still does if you use the unread querystring after reading the topic. ;)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

It took you to the first page of the topic always, that behavior didn't change with the prior patch.