[RFC] Support for MariaDB

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
juzars
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:59 am

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by juzars » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:54 am

MariaDB WILL replace MySQL in future.
MySQL will be less and less free, thanks to oracle...

User avatar
brunoais
Registered User
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by brunoais » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:31 am

How can you be sure of that?

juzars
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:59 am

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by juzars » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:05 pm

brunoais wrote:How can you be sure of that?
I'm not sure, I hope that
Read this: http://www.computerworld.com.au/article ... s_mariadb/

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by keith10456 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Google is already making the switch to MariaDB. Check out this article, "Google Waves Goodbye To MySQL In Favor Of MariaDB" (published September 14, 2013).

http://readwrite.com/2013/09/14/google- ... sRF5JmzuYu

User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by MichaelC » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:50 pm

This is going off-topic (The topic being MariaDB support for phpBB). Essentially, phpBB does already support MariaDB so the only thing we could do is add it to a list of supported database systems unless anyone can point out a way that we can do something to improve MariaDB Support?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Danielx64
Registered User
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:42 am

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by Danielx64 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:07 am

Is it worth adding this for 3.0.x as well? I'm intending on testing it out and seeing it it will work at all.

User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by MichaelC » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:39 pm

*Daniel wrote:Is it worth adding this for 3.0.x as well? I'm intending on testing it out and seeing it it will work at all.
MichaelC wrote:phpBB does already support MariaDB so the only thing we could do is add it to a list of supported database systems unless anyone can point out a way that we can do something to improve MariaDB Support?
There is nothing to add, and we couldn't change anything, even if we wanted to as php just has a mysqli driver which works fine for MariaDB.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Danielx64
Registered User
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:42 am

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by Danielx64 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Good catch I suppose we could at lease make a note in the installer and documentation about it.

User avatar
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by bantu » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:27 pm

bantu wrote:It would be nice to run tests using our MySQL driver on a MariaDB database. For Travis-CI see https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/1081
Considering that this Travis-CI ticket has not been implemented within the last 6 months, I have gone ahead and implemented MariaDB support for Travis-CI in our repository. See https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/1780/files
*Daniel wrote:Good catch I suppose we could at lease make a note in the installer and documentation about it.
We will add MariaDB to the documentation files of 3.0.13. See http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-11920

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Support for MariaDB

Post by keith10456 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Glad to hear it :-)

Post Reply