[RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Michaelo

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by Michaelo »

Total agreement +1
Mods: Forum Icons Enhancement, Kiss Portal Engine
Links:
Kiss Portal Engine (dev site) Stargate Portal (archive site) ...
Styles: Technika

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Disabling those older fields sounds fine to me. Will you also disable the newer profile fields by default?

I presume that you can make any of these profile fields required at registration, right? Also, will the user be able to delete the predefined profile fields or just disable them (I'm in favor of not allowing them to be deleted).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Mess

Post by Mess »

nickvergessen wrote:Snip...
Big yes to all the above!

Maybe we should consider LinkedIn, I wouldn't use it on my sites but I'm thinking many would.

Pico88

Post by Pico88 »

Pony99CA wrote:Disabling those older fields sounds fine to me. Will you also disable the newer profile fields by default?

I presume that you can make any of these profile fields required at registration, right? Also, will the user be able to delete the predefined profile fields or just disable them (I'm in favor of not allowing them to be deleted).

Steve
+1 for not allowing to delete built-in profile fields - sth similar to the group management.

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

+1 The list looks good to me.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Pony99CA wrote:Disabling those older fields sounds fine to me. Will you also disable the newer profile fields by default?
I don't see a reason, to disable stuff that is going to be used. So no, they will be active by default
Pony99CA wrote:I presume that you can make any of these profile fields required at registration, right?
Also, will the user be able to delete the predefined profile fields or just disable them (I'm in favor of not allowing them to be deleted).
Like with current profile fields the admin has the option to require them anywhere, hide them, disable them and delete them.
We will also not stop anyone from deleting them. Why would we want to prevent it? If an admin decides he does not need these fields, he can delete them to make the db a little smaller and cleaner.

If an admin decided he accidently deleted one of them, we can add a module to the SupportToolKit to readd profile fields easily.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

nickvergessen wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:I presume that you can make any of these profile fields required at registration, right?
Also, will the user be able to delete the predefined profile fields or just disable them (I'm in favor of not allowing them to be deleted).
Like with current profile fields the admin has the option to require them anywhere, hide them, disable them and delete them.
We will also not stop anyone from deleting them. Why would we want to prevent it? If an admin decides he does not need these fields, he can delete them to make the db a little smaller and cleaner.
I agree, if an admin does not want certain profile fields, they should have the option to delete them.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

+1 for disabling those older profile fields by default.

+1 for giving the admin the option to delete the profile fields.

+1 for adding a module to STK to restore default fields.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

I agree with all your suggestions.
As WLM was merged into Skype. Why not just use a field for Skype?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

We've already gone over that. WLM continues living in mainland China. The service was not completely killed off nor merged to Skype there. There's also this.