[RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
mrgtb

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by mrgtb »

Read this news on BBC yesterday, after this October, 2014 Live messenger is no more, gone for good. So yes Windows Live messenger should now be removed. Personally I would remove these for good with it.

AOL
Jabber

Funny enough... this same discussion about most of those fields (which is hard-coded in a lot of forum software) still, was had on another forum software site. The vast majority of members felt same way, they are too old and nobody really uses them anymore. A throw back from forums in the early 90's when they was popular things to use, but not today anymore. The Yahoo one cracks me up because I don't even allow yahoo.com and yahoo.co.uk to register on my forum, only spammers use yahoo email address

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

mrgtb wrote:Read this news on BBC yesterday, after this October, 2014 Live messenger is no more, gone for good. So yes Windows Live messenger should now be removed.
You should better create a ticket for this, otherwise it may be forgotten.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

mrgtb wrote:Read this news on BBC yesterday, after this October, 2014 Live messenger is no more, gone for good. So yes Windows Live messenger should now be removed. Personally I would remove these for good with it.

AOL
Jabber
Jabber is allowed for subscription notifications, so I can't see removing that.

The others should optional, of course (having check boxes to show or hide them). Some older boards may well have users that use those services, so don't remove them completely.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

spello

Post by spello »

One thing needs to be improved. Custom contact profile fileds should have ability to add its icon. Currently all custom contact fields that are set to be displayed on topic page have the same icon which is confusing. There is no way to change that picture.

For example, I have added three additional contact profile fields that I'd like to display on view-topic, but all of them have the same icon. As I said before, it IS really confusing... I have no ability to change it.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Because of how the icons are added to viewtopic it is rather complicated to assign them when creating cpf's. This is because the images are actually in the background of the rendered cpf and come from CSS classes. If you have suggestions on how you think it could be done then by all means we're all ears. :mrgreen:

spello

Post by spello »

Couldn't it be done by adding additional inputbox called "icon" where path to file with an image should be placed? And that icon would be displayed in viewtopic instead of the default one.

Changing css without touching it is available - by using javascript with document.body.style. property.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Changing the background image through JavaScript sounds like a terrible idea, no offense. Probably better to just add an inline style on generation of the cpf's that overrides the background image. Setting the icon would be a matter of providing a dropdown list of all available icons present in the icons directory.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Have to agree about the inability to add icons to go along with custom fields. I couldn't think of a way to do it, so hard coded it https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13808251

But surely we could just have the ability to enter the path to an image? Like for the forum images? Maybe even have a box to specify dimensions with 20x20 as default.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Volksdevil wrote:Have to agree about the inability to add icons to go along with custom fields. I couldn't think of a way to do it, so hard coded it https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13808251

But surely we could just have the ability to enter the path to an image? Like for the forum images? Maybe even have a box to specify dimensions with 20x20 as default.
+1

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Mess wrote:
Volksdevil wrote:Have to agree about the inability to add icons to go along with custom fields. I couldn't think of a way to do it, so hard coded it https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13808251

+1
I'd rather have:
DavidIQ wrote:...
Setting the icon would be a matter of providing a dropdown list of all available icons present in the icons directory.
than have the administrators enter a path to the icon. This is also an issue with how the forum icons are set mind you.