[RFC|Merged] Make ext/ directory

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Oleg

Re: [RFC] Make ext/ directory

Post by Oleg »

Making the ext directory during package building sounds reasonable.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Oleg wrote:Making the ext directory during package building sounds reasonable.
On the other side, I would rather not assume that everyone who downloaded phpBB via git has a working build environment and tools installed. It has been suggested to me that composer can be used to generate required folders instead. Right now, composer has to run on git checkouts, so this does not add another requirement.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

bantu wrote:
Oleg wrote:Making the ext directory during package building sounds reasonable.
On the other side, I would rather not assume that everyone who downloaded phpBB via git has a working build environment and tools installed. It has been suggested to me that composer can be used to generate required folders instead. Right now, composer has to run on git checkouts, so this does not add another requirement.
+1

http://getcomposer.org/doc/articles/scripts.md
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

If composer is not required to build packages then package building should still create the directory.

Creating it via composer seems to be ok to me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

PR using composer to create the ext/ directory: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/1032
Make sure your composer.phar is up to date, then remove the vendor/ directory and composer.lock file (if present) before running php ../composer.phar install --dev from the phpbb3/phpBB/ directory.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Oleg wrote:If composer is not required to build packages then package building should still create the directory.
phpBB does not work without its dependencies. Composer installs dependencies, so composer is required for building packages.
imkingdavid wrote:PR using composer to create the ext/ directory: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/1032
This should be extended to all the other folders such as cache for consistency. The .htacces and index.html file should in my opinion be created by the build script. We can assume that people using phpBB via git know how to secure their webserver.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:PR using composer to create the ext/ directory: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/1032
Make sure your composer.phar is up to date, then remove the vendor/ directory and composer.lock file (if present) before running php ../composer.phar install --dev from the phpbb3/phpBB/ directory.
You should update the composer.phar in the repo with your PR?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

bantu wrote:
Oleg wrote:If composer is not required to build packages then package building should still create the directory.
phpBB does not work without its dependencies. Composer installs dependencies, so composer is required for building packages.
phpbb does not work without its dependencies but it does work without composer.

The question was whether build process invoked composer and failed if composer was missing.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Oleg wrote:The question was whether build process invoked composer and failed if composer was missing.
Yes, it calls composer and should fail if it's missing. https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/blob/de ... ld.xml#L15