Twig as our template engine

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Post Reply
User avatar
Meis2M Online
Registered User
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by Meis2M »

Arty wrote:
Meis2M wrote:is it like wordpress template?
No, nothing like that. Why did you say "+1" if you have no clue of how it works?
sorry it was a bit mistake ;)

im happy
"The work has been done on subsilver so we should keep it"
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by imkingdavid »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Work has and always will not get used. Its how development works. Because work has been done on something doesn't mean we shouldn't use a better solution.
Hmmm, I sort of recall that this reasoning was used to retain subsilver2. Paraphrase "The work has been done on subsilver so we should keep it".
I don't think that was actually one of the reasons we kept it. I think the reason we kept it was because users wanted to keep it.

But yes, work that has already been done is in the past and should never be considered in future decisions.

On topic, I don't think we need to make such a major change for 3.1. Let's get the blockers done and get an alpha release out. We can work on this for 3.2.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
User avatar
emosbat
Registered User
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 am

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by emosbat »

I just know smarty so if you use smarty I am pro :D
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by MichaelC »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Work has and always will not get used. Its how development works. Because work has been done on something doesn't mean we shouldn't use a better solution.
Hmmm, I sort of recall that this reasoning was used to retain subsilver2. Paraphrase "The work has been done on subsilver so we should keep it".
Please don't take it out of context. :) I even explained this in that topic. The main point of removing subsilver was so that stuff wouldn't need developing to use it. However all the development time that would have been saved by removing it has already happened? Meaning removing it would not save any dev time but waste a lot; hence making that reason invalid.

Throwing away code is fine as long as it has a benefit. This does, that didn't.

Anyway, can we not descend this topic into discussing the removal of subsilver2.
On topic, I don't think we need to make such a major change for 3.1. Let's get the blockers done and get an alpha release out. We can work on this for 3.2.
Whilst I agree, you can't have 30 developers all working on 2 things.One Nils wants to do himself; the other is already being worked on by 4 people? Blockers come first but other development shouldn't be halted. That would just waste of both time and resources. And there is no point saying lets work on this for 3.2. We have no idea which it will go in. Depends how long it takes and how long it takes to complete the blockers which it will go in.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
TptMike
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 am

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by TptMike »

imkingdavid wrote: On topic, I don't think we need to make such a major change for 3.1. Let's get the blockers done and get an alpha release out. We can work on this for 3.2.
+1 for this.
Oleg
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by Oleg »

Any proposal replacing the template engine would have to address all of extensions/events needs. Including the ones that the current template engine does not address.
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by MichaelC »

Oleg wrote:Any proposal replacing the template engine would have to address all of extensions/events needs. Including the ones that the current template engine does not address.
It does - twig extensions.

In fact it might make things easier for extensions because of the way twig is structured with blocks.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
Jhonne
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 am

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by Jhonne »

Twig is a really good template engine. I think that even if it will take quite some coding to make the current phpBB work with Twig, it will still save us from a lot of work in the future. And as already mentioned I think that Twig will ease the procedure of making modifications and custom styles with the block structure and not to forget the template inheritance.
User avatar
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by bantu »

The question of replacing the template engine and the question of replacing the template syntax should be considered independent as it seems to be perfectly possible to change the template engine to Twig while keeping the template syntax.
In my opinion the template syntax should not be changed for 3.1 (and probably 3.2). But using Twig as a template engine might make sense as it might be faster, using less memory and most importanty probably is fully unit tested.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Twig as our template engine

Post by imkingdavid »

I can agree to that. We just need to ensure that Twig can accomplish everything we need (including the new template events, etc.)
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
Post Reply