[RFC] Responsive layout

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Alien_Time

Re: Responsive layout

Post by Alien_Time »

Arty, I am just wondering what will happen when we have banner advertisements in forums when we use this responsive layout? I have Adsense banner ads which are not fluid. I have the horizontal ads placed at the top and bottom of pages as well as after first post in topics. I am unable to test these ads in my local host and can only find out when I install it in my live site in the future. So I am curious how that will work.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

You'll need to alter them. Create several adsense channels, swap channel ids based on user resolution

nextgen

Post by nextgen »

Google adsense has the option of creating ads in mobile format, I think that in part would be an advantage.
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Arty wrote:You'll need to alter them. Create several adsense channels, swap channel ids based on user resolution
Is it really a worry, though? Banner ads on regular ProSilver will probably be just as ugly on mobile devices as they will be in responsive layouts, right?

Personally, I went with a different option on my site -- viewing from mobile devices did not get ads at all (using simple CSS). Who wants any screen real estate taken up by ads on your phone? However, now that tablets are popular, and have screens big enough to allow ads, I might have considered modifying that policy, but I'm no developing the site, so it's moot.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Thank you all for your input. Altering the ads based on resolution seems like a good idea. Nextgen is right, google now has mobile banner ads so I might use that for mobile devices. But for tablets, like pony99ca said, since their screen is big enough, I might be wanting to serve the regular banner ads there. Its good to know this can be done since I don't want to completely remove ads for mobiles. My site's main income is from ads and everyday more and more users are using mobiles. So monetizing for mobile devices make sense as long as we can serve a different mobile ad for those users instead of the standard ones used for desktops.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

As I alluded to, you could do something now. CSS has a "handheld" profile (I belive), so you could use that to serve different (smaller) images.

However, I don't believe that I've ever clciked (intentionally) on a mobile ad. Many of them are more intrusive that flashing banners or pop-ups on PCS. If others are like me, you may not make much money unless the ads are impression-based instead of click-through based.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

PR is almost ready: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/1719

I've added a lot of stuff since last update:
- Rebased on latest develop.
- Responsive member list and other tables.
- Responsive forms.
- Responsive user profiles.
- Responsive posts.
- Large images in posts posted via img bbcode and as attachments are shown with scrollbars instead of being cut off.

Notifications list popup in header does not work right now because of bug that is fixed in separate PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/1799

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

I think its ready. Please check it, tell me if I missed something.

I don't like layout of post profiles. They look ok, but not great. Any suggestions?

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

Ticket 10948 missing.
Greeting Stephan :-)

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

That PR was merged yesterday after I rebased this PR. It doesn't affect anything.