This is an alternative to [RFC] Mobile style.
There are several ways to make forum mobile friendly, two of them are:
- Create separate mobile style
- Create responsive layout for existing style
Responsive web design is creating style sheet for existing design that changes the way design looks depending on device and/or screen resolution. You can read long article that explains it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_Web_Design
If you'll browse web, you might find some responsive design examples. Problem is, all of them are applied to simple designs. Forum design is far from simple, so can it be done?
In last few months I have created responsive layout for forum design that is even more complex than prosilver, so yes, it can be done. It is fully functional, including user control panel, moderator control panel, popup windows. You can see it here: http://www.artodia.com/forum/
How to test it if you don't have mobile device? Just change browser window width to smallest possible and see what happens.
Responsive layout vs mobile style
While you can have both responsive layout and mobile style, creating both would be waste of time, so one has to be selected. Both methods have its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of mobile style:
- It is faster. Responsive layout is addition to existing style, so mobile browsers get all data that desktop browsers get. Proper mobile style will have only data relevant to mobile layout. Browsers cache images and scripts, so it mostly affects first page load.
- No matter how much forum admin will mess up wrapping forum style into his ancient table driven website layout, mobile layout will work just fine.
- No need to maintain yet another style.
- Style authors will customize it, so forums will look the same on mobile and desktop browsers.
- Browser will automatically use correct CSS rules based on resolution. No need for user agent sniffing. phpBB will not have to include mobile device detection function.