[RFC] HTML5 input types for form fields

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

[RFC] HTML5 input types for form fields

Post by Vinny »

Everyone knows that the phpBB 3.1 uses HTML5, thinking about it why not use the new features? The discussion about the new features started here.

Proposal
Add the new input types for forms. With the new HTML5 input types, you can have more control over each field, well as validating email and url fields.

Pros
The browser will automatically take care to validate the fields.

Cons
Browsers support :| . Some browser doesn't support some types. But the current error box system will remain. :P

Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-11010
PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/1000/

nextgen

Re: [RFC] HTML5 input types for form fields

Post by nextgen »

Vinny wrote:Cons
Browsers support :| . Some browser doesn't support some types.
In this case only is Internet explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome already support the features of HTML5
Vinny wrote:Proposal
Add the new input types for forms. With the new HTML5 input types, you can have more control over each field, well as validating email and url fields.
+1
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

nextgen wrote:In this case only is Internet explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome already support the features of HTML5
Unknown Bliss wrote:FYI: http://fmbip.com/ tells you about your current browser compatibility.
Also, look this: http://www.w3schools.com/html5/html5_fo ... _types.asp

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Seems straight forward, and even if some browser doesn't support one of them yet, worst case it'll look like it does now. So I think all we need here is for someone to create a ticket and someone who wants to implement it who will send a pull request.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

naderman wrote:Seems straight forward, and even if some browser doesn't support one of them yet, worst case it'll look like it does now.
Yes, good point.
naderman wrote:So I think all we need here is for someone to create a ticket and someone who wants to implement it who will send a pull request.
Ticket = Done
PR = I'm working in the pr.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

I was reviewing and testing the new types and I think that just email and url should be used.

Opinions?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I could certainly see scenarios where date, datetime, and tel[ephone] would be useful, although only date is currently implemented as a CPF type.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

Maybe number and search too.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

The search input annoyed me because it wasn't themeable. I couldn't get rid if the overly-rounded corners.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

naderman wrote:Seems straight forward, and even if some browser doesn't support one of them yet, worst case it'll look like it does now.
As long as "legacy" browsers still work with the new field types, I don't see much downside to this. It might also make my New Custom Profile Field Types RFC easier (in the future; for now, validation will still be required anyway).
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:I could certainly see scenarios where date, datetime, and tel[ephone] would be useful, although only date is currently implemented as a CPF type.
CPF? UPDATE: Never mind -- Custom Profile Field.

The Month type could be used for birth dates and the Color type in the ACP (for example, the Group colour setting).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.