[RFC] Colons in language variables

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Qiaeru

Re: [RFC] Colons in language variables

Post by Qiaeru »

Yep, it will be change as soon as possible, thanks for your feedbacks.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Maël Soucaze wrote:Yep, it will be change as soon as possible, thanks for your feedbacks.
You seem to have deleted your phpbb3 repository on Github. Does that mean you are no longer working on this? Otherwise, what is the status here?

Qiaeru

Post by Qiaeru »

My commit was not valid because there was too many changes for only one concerned language in the world. I will work again on this as soon as possible, I just want to remember that my work was done like this because a developer told me to do so when I asked. Hours of work wasted. Mainly, new changes will be to replace colons in template files by a unique language entry ('COLON' => ':',), added in a language file (common.php). It will be done when I could find the time to do so, the previous experience to help to improve the software was very demotivating. If a developer wants to help me with that, it would be my pleasure. :)

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

All right. I just want to make sure this problem gets fixed and someone is working on it. EXreaction will help you out and is trying to address this by doing a simple search/replace.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I've created a PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/938

Basically, I did the following:

Replace "}:" with "}{L_COLON}"
Replace ">:" with ">{L_COLON}" (case-by-case)

I also found a few instances of the following I replaced (on a case-by-case basis)
Replace "} :" with "}{L_COLON}"
Replace "> :" with ">{L_COLON}"

Could you take a look at it and let me know how it looks?

Qiaeru

Post by Qiaeru »

Okay I'll look into this ASAP (probably Sunday), thank you very much for your help EXreaction!

However, for information, a lot of colons in the ACP are not searchable and replaceable with this method (for now, I don't know how can we solve that). Also, to standardise, there are some colons included in the language files for now (located at the end of a sentence) which need to be removed and add in template files as {L_COLON}.

Thanks again.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Maël Soucaze wrote:However, for information, a lot of colons in the ACP are not searchable and replaceable with this method (for now, I don't know how can we solve that).
Please name examples. Where a colon is included in markup generated by PHP, the colon can be replaced with $user->lang['COLON'].
Maël Soucaze wrote:Also, to standardise, there are some colons included in the language files for now (located at the end of a sentence) which need to be removed and add in template files as {L_COLON}.
While it would make sense to fix this as well for consistency, please consider this a different issue. Language authors already have control over all language strings. This means you can already add a thin space before every colon in the french language packs. This can be fixed once the original goal has been reached.