[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
EXreaction

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

I've seen what Facebook does for notifications, I just wasn't sure what happens when there are a large number. AJAX is definitely preferable.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I assume this will also include a set of user preferences whether they prefer to get email notifications, alerts or neither for each item (subscriptions etc.)?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

imkingdavid wrote:AFAIK, PMs generate an "alert"/"notification", so I actually don't see the need for the unread count. I was simply wondering if we should remove the link to the inbox from the index.
They shouldn't generate an alert, though - it is invasive as hell.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:I - and I think members - appreciate the easy access to private messages so I think the "X new private messages" link should remain.

However, I don't think the "X unread private messages" link is needed in the header. That info can (should) be obtained once you access your private messages.
I think almost the opposite. :) Every new PM is an unread message, so if I could only pick one count to see, I'd pick the unread count... Or you could change the display to something like: (Messages: 0 new, 5 unread)...
Good point. I didn't think about it that way. I agree with you. Especially on this part: (Messages: 0 new, 5 unread) ;)

On another note, I don't think the link should be removed completely because not only does it let you know that you have messages (or not) but the link also gives the member quick access to create a PM, and lets them know that the PM feature is actually available.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

callumacrae wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:AFAIK, PMs generate an "alert"/"notification", so I actually don't see the need for the unread count. I was simply wondering if we should remove the link to the inbox from the index.
They shouldn't generate an alert, though - it is invasive as hell.
How? How is getting a notification about a new PM any different than seeing a non-zero number in the "X new messages" area? Or am I misunderstanding you?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

keith10456 wrote:On another note, I don't think the link should be removed completely because not only does it let you know that you have messages (or not) but the link also gives the member quick access to create a PM, and lets them know that the PM feature is actually available.
There are a lot of features that users do not know about right away. That's not really a reason to create a link to it, because that rule cannot be applied to everything, else there would be 50 links in the header.

I would say that a separate item for messages, like facebook does, would be the only other option, but both would have to be smaller and noticeable.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

EXreaction wrote:I've seen what Facebook does for notifications, I just wasn't sure what happens when there are a large number. AJAX is definitely preferable.
If there is bigger count of new notifications than 5 (facebook shows 5 notifications no matter if they are new or viewed already), facebook simply shows more of them. Even if you have let's say 20 new notifications, facebook shows all of them. They are show in a box with fixed height having scrollbar (box is bigger than usual one, the one with 5 notifications, but is smaller than user's screen height).

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Does it just show up to the oldest notification or does it remove them when they are read?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

EXreaction wrote:Does it just show up to the oldest notification or does it remove them when they are read?
As far as I can tell, when there are more than 5 new notifications, it shows up to the last unread one. When there are less than 5 new notifications, it shows the last five, regardless of read/unread status.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Plus take into consideration, that "read" at FB means you hover over notification. After that, ajax request is sent to mark notification read, and background changes to white. It is great advantage, because you can easily mark notifications read and find them later, as there are still last 5 notifications shown (but they do not interrupt you by blinking, displaying in page title, etc.).