[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.

Alien_Time

Re: [RFC|Merged] notification box

Post by Alien_Time »

Hi VSE+ and others, I have another suggestion for the notification section and would like to know what you all think. I think that having the new notifications show up in a different colour like red, will be more noticeable (I mean only when there are new notifications and not for the default 0). This is especially useful for users who usually scroll down the screen quickly to skim through the page might not notice the new notification shown in this section since they probably ignore these section as an everyday habit. So I was thinking showing the new notification number in red would pop up visually and also having a red icon for these that only appears when there are new notifications might be useful too. Here is a sample of my idea so you can understand what I mean:
notification_idea.jpg
(276.05 KiB) Downloaded 2122 times

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

Greeting Stephan :-)

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Yeah... that suggestion didnt go anywhere since others started talking about the post counts. So dont know if the idea of showing red font for new notifications is something that might be integrated. I do think it will be useful. Infact even site like facebook also shows the notification count in red bg color and its more noticeable. What do the developers think about it?

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Maybe not the icons but the showing the text in red would be good.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I have probably found a bug, well not a bug but something which is not done properly. Many style authors will probably move Notifications link to right. However, when they move it to <ul class="rightside" ... > the content of Notification box is messed up. There should be CSS for notification box to display text on left so that it is not messed up by class .rightside

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

That sounds like a problem for the style author to resolve through their own stylesheets. ;)

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Its something that can be resolved by switching dropdown handling from old notifications code to new responsive design dropdown handling.

New code opens menu on left or right depending on available space, above/below and adjusts it to prevent parts of dropdown going out of page.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

If one developer can change something and save the time of dozens style authors, I think it is worth it. Besides, default style should be as customizable as possible, it means, one part should not reuse CSS of another part. Now, ul list in Notification box is using CSS from list in navbar, which is another part of design.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Kamahl19 wrote:... Now, ul list in Notification box is using CSS from list in navbar, which is another part of design.
It would be better if they were separate - correct?