[RFC] Add class for add_log function

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
nickvergessen
Former Team Member

[RFC] Add class for add_log function

Post by nickvergessen »

includes/functions_user.php:

Code: Select all

// In phpBB 3.1.x i want to have logging in a class to be able to control it
			// For now, we need a quite hakish approach to circumvent logging for some actions
			// @todo implement cleanly
			if (!empty($GLOBALS['skip_add_log']))
I made a small class which is used by add_log. The class has two functions enable() and disable() to control whether logs should be added to the database. I also added unit tests for add_log() which work for the old and new version, to ensure everything works like it did.

I also added potential event listener, which need to be un-commented when the event stuff is merged.

Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10714
PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/631
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

naderman
Consultant

Re: [RFC] Add class for add_log function

Post by naderman »

What are your thoughts regarding Igor's concern about the enable/disable function? Should the log really provide an enable/disable method? Anyone else with an opinion on this?

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

I'd say it has almost 0 additional costs, and it might help in some cases. But of course we can add a 10th parameter which forces us to add all default values to our calls.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Well the question is just, is it bad that your code logs something but it never shows up in the log, because somewhere someone disabled logging? Or is the inconvenience worse that you need to pass around parameters that define whether or not to log?

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

It is not stored in the log, so it is not logged. In this case false is returned, so you know something went wrong, if its unintended.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

nickvergessen wrote:In this case false is returned, so you know something went wrong, if its unintended.
Assuming you check return value, which people aren't used to doing ...

@naderman: The reason for the feature currently hacked into add_log is things like the "prune user" feature. user_delete is called once for every user deleted, and every call to user_delete writes an entry to a log. The spam in the log can be a little annoying (but whether that is better or worse than missing log entires is up for debate)

====

What if you could enable a kind of log buffering instead ... if the current log string is the same as the last log string, then merge the arguments until buffering is disabled or the log strings no longer match ... more complicated implementation, but it all gets hidden in the new class.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Let's take the case of logging per user when pruning users.

What if in the process of pruning users there is an error elsewhere which normally is logged. If you turn off logging globally you won't get that error logged and something might fail with no indication that it failed.

igorw

Post by igorw »

I still think there should be an argument, imo that's the cleanest solution.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I agree, mostly because of Oleg's concern.